Why become a member? ×

Cab refurbishment - which speaker?

ChazNoName

Howdy,

I'm in the process of refurbishing a trace elliot 1x15 and laney 1x15 cab, both of which have had their speakers replaced at some point in their lives...

Can anyone give me any information on the speakers they're fitted with?

Details are:

Emeinence (blue label) 200w 8 ohm ME15-2008 (15903)
Celestion Truvox 1520 8 ohm Red Label (T5178, 22AP/49)

I'd be interested to know if anyone can tell me what the wattage of the celestion is, or which would be considered to be the better of the two?

Many thanks

Charles :-)

Looks like the Celestion is 150W rms - [url="http://celestion.com/product/100/tf1520/"]http://celestion.com/product/100/tf1520/[/url]

As to which is best it really all comes down to the suitability of the cabinet dimensions and porting with the particular speaker. The easiest and most effective way is to experiment with each speaker in the cab and try it out.

The ME 15-200 was at the cheaper end of the Eminence range and dates back to the 1980's. The specs i have are.

Power Handling 200W
response 45-5000
200W
fs 46Hz
Vas 224 l
Qts 0.67
Sensitivity 99dB/W

it had a fairly small magnet and lightweight cone, I wouldn't imagine excursion is up to much given its high sensitivity and I used to blow the ME series fairly frequently, given it' s age I'd look for something else. The Eminence Beta 15 is probably fairly close although a better speaker.

You'd be better off giving us the details of the cab sizes and we can suggest speakers that are a good match rather than trying to do a like for like substitution with speakers that probably weren't original anyway. It's easy to make the cabs sound fairly good but they won't sound like the original drivers.

Edited by Phil Starr

• 2 weeks later...