Why become a member? ×

Small & portable EUB?

project_c

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1493305194' post='3287334']
They are fine for other genres too. I bought mine from Happy Jack. He tells me that they are popular with Salsa players because at one time, the only bass available to Salsa bands in South America, was the Ampeg original on which the KK was based....

I've used mine for more folky, rootsy, bluesy stuff and it's great
I recently added an additional pickup too. I had a Shadow preamp, with 2 piezo pickups (one for each side of the bridge)
I replaced one of the Piezo's with a slap pickup (bought fairly cheply on ebay) and I really like the sound I get from that. It picks up more of the clicky / slap sounds when I'm playing that style.

It's a great result for me too, as I've got a ready made backup pickup system - I can just revert to the KK fitted pickup if the battery in my Shadow preamp dies... The bridge fitted to the KK is unlike other EUB's, as there's a sort of metal bar around the bridge - I first thought this must be to protect the bridge. It actually does protect it when in the gigbag, but it's also part of the pickup system

I'm really pleased with mine
[/quote]

I'm running the mag pickup and a pair of J-Tone Red wing pickups. OBBM made me up a stereo lead with two mono jacks on one end and I use this with a Headway EDB-1 preamp to blend the mag and the piezo's together.

Regarding protection in the gig bag, the metal hoop does indeed protect the bridge to some extent, but be careful of the tailpiece. Mine took a whack and it cracked around the bolt hole. Opening the gig bag and the bridge dropping out is not a pleasant feeling I can tell you. I've managed a glue repair to the tailpiece which is holding fine for now, but as this is quite exposed, I'm thinking of making up an aluminium tailpiece to prevent further accidents.

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1494243290' post='3294218']
I'm running the mag pickup and a pair of J-Tone Red wing pickups. OBBM made me up a stereo lead with two mono jacks on one end and I use this with a Headway EDB-1 preamp to blend the mag and the piezo's together.

Regarding protection in the gig bag, the metal hoop does indeed protect the bridge to some extent, but be careful of the tailpiece. Mine took a whack and it cracked around the bolt hole. Opening the gig bag and the bridge dropping out is not a pleasant feeling I can tell you. I've managed a glue repair to the tailpiece which is holding fine for now, but as this is quite exposed, I'm thinking of making up an aluminium tailpiece to prevent further accidents.
[/quote]

Thanks for that info JPJ,
Is OBBM the guy who sells the J-Tone pickups? Your set-up sounds like something I'd like to try. I've got a K&K preamp with inputs for both a piezo and a mic. I think it could work with a piezo and a clicky? - It's always worth exploring options, I think....

Cheers for the heads up re the potential damage to the tailpiece too - sorry to hear this happened to you :(
An aluminium plate should do the trick in protecting and strengthening it though, good idea, so I'd go for that if I were you

Cheers again

Hi Marc,

No, OBBM is a founder member of Basschat who makes excellent leads etc. The J-Tone guy is local to me and trades mainly through eBay.

I'm working on the aluminium tailpiece idea, and I will report back once this is complete.

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1494328650' post='3294974']
Hi Marc,

No, OBBM is a founder member of Basschat.....
[/quote]

Ooops! Sorry, I probably should have known that ;)

And yes please, report with photos on that tailpiece.... good luck with it

Clifton mini-upright!

http://www.cliftonbasses.co.uk/page9.html

36" scale, but plays & sounds about as close to an acoustic bass as I've heard from a solid body EUB ... made by Mo Clifton in Blackheath, if he's still around - last time I saw him he was semi retired & spending half the year in France.

I'm in Sussex if you want to pop down and try one out!

Apologies for gatecrashing this topic with a shameless plug but....

I'm selling my Bassix Hi-Tech RC bass here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/304311-bassix-eub-for-sale-no-trades-price-drop-to-l500/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/304311-bassix-eub-for-sale-no-trades-price-drop-to-l500/[/url]

Has a 42" scale but can also be dismantled down to slightly longer than the size of a bass guitar. Sounds really good, is easy to get around so may be worth taking a look.