Why become a member? ×

Classic Rock in pubs, is it compulsory?

SisterAbdullahX

we play mostly punk covers with about 6 of our own songs thrown in, having said that we do Rosie and Ace of Spades, just to prove we can, which always goes down well (some people actually still believe if you do punk songs you can't really play) as ivansc said it is important to put on a show, just turning up in ill fitting jeans and a black T shirt staring at your feet while playing just doesn't cut it, Around our area Ska and Mod bands do particularly well, I actually think pubs are realising you need to put something different on

One of the (several) bands I'm currently in, deliberately set out to cover songs you don't hear covered too often. Not just rock songs, but a bit of pop, reggae, ska and a few Northern Soul etc....

Several of the venues we contacted and played, said this was a breath of fresh air, from the usual "sex on fire" "sweet home Alabama" and "Mustang Sally" type of stuff that almost everyone else has played to death. All well and good? Well, yes, but we play these songs, then someone usually comes up and asks "Can you play some classic rock?" or "can you do Sex on Fire?" - so it's almost like you can't win!

Also, being based in South Wales, we get asked every time, "Can you play something my the Manics, or the Phonics" - we do a couple of Phonics tracks, but only from the earlier albums. There are pubs where we fear we wouldn't get out alive unless we complied with that request ;)

The last band I was in decided at the outset that we weren't going to play all the same classic rock songs as everybody else. But unfortunately the singer was reluctant to play much that would be well known to average pub audiences, to the point that we might as well have been playing originals much of the time. l generally like classic rock but I didn't know most of the songs we did before I had to learn them. Any suggestion by me that we do some better known songs was usually met with derision, almost scorn. Emailed suggestions were usually not replied to.

It was a frequent comment "... great band but I didn't know many of the songs". The singer clearly believed that it was the responsibilty of the audience to know what we played (and actually said that at rehearsal, in a different form of words), rather than vice-versa, with little comprimise to be had. The result? No surprise - small and disinterested audiences as well as an increasingly disillusioned bass player. The band split (undemocratically), but I had been thinking of leaving for a while. A great shame, it was a band of good players that had a lot to offer.

Edited by inthedoghouse

We tried a new set featuring Songs by Royal Blood and other up to date less cheesy stuff. Song finished to complete silence. :blush:
"Play something we know!" Yelled some wag from the crowd. Cue Sex On Fire and the floor is packed again.
You have to give them what they want, and that unfortunately, is cheesy rock covers. :rolleyes:

We don't play any covers, and also occasionally play pub gigs.
We usually get a good audience reaction - usually due to exuberance and odd clothing.
At a gig a while ago in Sheffield the drummer's wife overheard 2 chaps talking about the band; one said "I don't know what it is but I f***** love it!"

With the new band I didn't know 90% of the numbers when I joined (not being down with the kids), but the dance floor rocks all night. Friday we debuted Insomnia, a track I never thought I would play live in a million years. Can't stand Ed Sheeran myself, but Castle on the Hill and Shape of you just go off. I like classic rock, always have being a child of the 70s, but it's time in pubs may be coming to an end.

Nope!..but.
Back in 1980 I played in a power trio doing........"forget me knots, (hard to believe I know), never can say goodbye, and a raft of UB40 stuff" etc etc...etc, and we were bloody good but it never went down as well as the rock stuff I did...guess its just the working class nature of the pub scene that rock will always be the stuff that they want.

[quote name='Leonard Smalls' timestamp='1493030263' post='3284898']
We don't play any covers, and also occasionally play pub gigs.
We usually get a good audience reaction - usually due to exuberance and odd clothing.
At a gig a while ago in Sheffield the drummer's wife overheard 2 chaps talking about the band; one said "I don't know what it is but I f***** love it!"
[/quote]

Now i'm curious ?

Any pics or Vids of the band to satisfy my curiousity :lol:

Dave

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1493017633' post='3284770']

Tough one this, as soon as we get to the chorus the crowd are rocking, likewise Sex on Fire! I hate SOF but my band are there to entertain so if we get to the second set and it's rocking there's no mileage in throwing something too obscure in. We are playing a couple of originals now but they're in the first half at the moment and are more listening songs. We do try to play slightly different rock stuff but some of the classics are what entertain. We generally finish with What's Up which usually turns into an all pub singing session! The more they dance, the more they drink and everyone's happy, especially the landlord!
[/quote]
I usually go if I'm in the pub as the out of tune crowd singing is painful. And seeing all those sweaty armpits in the air makes me gag.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1493031881' post='3284918']
I think the trick is to give people enough of what they know/like and sneak in some newer/original stuff under their guard. That way, everyone is happy.
[/quote]

Yes, this is a good approach I think. The trouble as always, is that everyone in the band needs to be onboard with this idea, and then has to agree on the whole set list (or at least, much of it)

It isn't quite clear what is meant by classic rock.

I've never played Mustang Sally or Sex Is On Fire personally. I've been involved in 50s rock 'n' roll bands and country bands that played pubs rather than rockabilly / country circuits. Away from my originals band I have a Creedence Clearwater Revival band that plays pubs over the tribute circuit. Classic rock but a bit different.

Perennial problem really. We have a few songs that cause me to die a little each time we play them, but more often than not people will come up after the gig and say how much they loved such and such.

I think I'm just about over my personal 'too cool for school' phase and I enjoy seeing people listening/singing along/dancing/getting involved with the music.

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1493031103' post='3284912']
Now i'm curious ?

Any pics or Vids of the band to satisfy my curiousity :lol:

Dave
[/quote]

A snippett of phone footage from that very gig... Complete with Sister Bez, Bishop Booth, Brother Pointy, Father Johnboy, Pope PeterPiperPicked and yours truly, Cardinal McBig on Parker bass.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WRGw-D08Gc[/MEDIA]

We play rock, pop and ska, but the songs that people like are the cheesy ones. We have recently added sex on fire because people kept nagging us for it, and it goes down very well everywhere. I don't know why, it is a really dreary song, but people like it.
I was dead against it, but considering how much people like, the fact it is completely no effort and the fact we get invited back as we are there to entertain them, I am coming round to not hating it.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1493022495' post='3284823']
For tonight's rehearsal though, I need to learn Black Dog, Rock n Roll and Whole Lotta Love. :rolleyes:
We go with much more Disco, Soul and Pop as a rule.

[/quote]

Reggae? Do much reggae?

http://youtu.be/CZHWy6W00oM

We set out to play 90s and 00s idie/post punk and the like, but wanted to choose songs that everyone knoew. Theres a few bands doing it in this area, but nearly all of us have added stuff thats distinctly off brief, and some of teh songs we thought people would know got zero response.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1493037860' post='3285031']
Could have been worse.

He could have yelled "Play something [u][b]you [/b][/u]know!"
[/quote]

..and this is why I have avoided being in bands that do mainly pub gigs for a long time now. Unless that pub has a specific clientele, the average pub crowd just want 'something we know'. Its a shame, pubs are dying, pub rock with them and very few music venues