Why become a member? ×

Lightest conventional bass

Bridgehouse

[quote name='chrisgriff' timestamp='1493056210' post='3285253']
Dawson's seem to have stock of the RBX A2
And here is Prince giving one a go:
[url="https://youtu.be/7ZBEfPhC2bc"]https://youtu.be/7ZBEfPhC2bc[/url]
[/quote]

That was not helpful - in a "in stock and sound fab" sort of GAS inducing way.

Meh. I may well just have to investigate this further.

[quote name='Schnozzalee' timestamp='1493070857' post='3285445']
The most Traditional would be a G&L with an Empress Body - 7lbs.

Happy Jack will probably know better than I, as he had some light Basses.
[/quote]

I would love a G&L Jazz 5 with an Empress body. In Sonic Blue with matching headstock if anyone cares. I have a Korean MTD 5 which I guess (and I will weigh it) is sub 8lbs.

I think the Danelectros mentioned here don't count as they are short scale. Marusczyzk Elwood L is a chambered body at around 3.5kg and my Spector Rebop also weighs in at 3.5 kg. I've read that Mike Lull makes some of his at a similar weight or less.

Edited by Grahambythesea

Nobody mentioned Fender Precision Lyte yet.
I've got 3, and had a fair few more over the years, and they've all been around the 7lb mark.
Great basses for long gigs, solid Japanese build and still quite cheap on the s/h market.
Full 34" scale, active with PJ pickup configuration and slim jazz style neck. What's not to like?

I had to stop playing Stingrays due to a shoulder accident, but if anyone has a sub 8lb Ray they
are looking to sell then please get in touch :-)

Played Robin's Reverend Rumblefish at the SE Bass bash. Masonite construction like a Dano so super light but a proper bass, with a proper scale length. Sounded amazing too. For those who've not come across them they look like this...

Love the retro styling.

Wider nut?...

In that case I think you should just try to get yourself a light p bass of no particular brand.
The most traditional instrument in my book. I'm a p bass guy and I always have done my best to get lighter ones, cos every bass weighs differently and every bass does sound a little different. Look for light alder, basswood, korina, swamp ash or sen ash bodies.

Most important above weight is the sound, never buy something you didn't play or hear in advance or you know you can sell with little money lost. I have one late 70s Tokai p bass that weighs 3.6 kg a Fender p bass from 1962 that weighs 3,8 kg and a Rickenbacker 4004 (also has a wider nut) that weighs 3,8 kg aswell. May be not extemely light but light enough to be comfortable and another good tip is get a good strap like a very wide leather strap or a comfort strap.

Just put a little work in, you'll be able to get one too I guess, good luck.

@ TrevorR that's not an easty to obtain instrument as they are very very rare!

Edited by Brams77

[quote name='Brams77' timestamp='1494053291' post='3292831']

@ TrevorR that's not an easty to obtain instrument as they are very very rare!
[/quote]

True, but they're bl@&dy lovely and I wish they still made them and any excuse to post a photo of one. :)

My Ritter R8 is under 6lbs. In fact I think my heaviest Ritter is 7.9lbs!

Mind you, with these instruments you pay for such light weights.

My NYC Sadowsky is really light as well. All the modern NYC's are light (and most of the older ones too) but again they aren't cheap.

My Lull PJ4 is super lightweight - like 3.5kg or so - and it a full-size P bass style instrument. Didn't come cheap tho.

Epiphone Jack Casady basses are really light, or you could even go lighter towards violin bass territory.

Had a couple of Nanyo Bass Collections over the years which have all been very light too, with small bodies and even smaller headstocks, which ain't to everyone's taste aesthetically. Good basses tho, and usually less than £200 s/h.