Why become a member? ×

Taming P Bass E string

Crawford13

Hey folks hoping for a bit of advice. I have a 1979 Fender P Bass with a maple finger board. It's got d'addario chromes on it. The problem I am having is the E string always seems a lot louder, and it make the bass sound very boomy. I usually play the the tone rolled all the way off, I like the dead sound but the E string just doesn't sound right to me. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

+1 for levelling the pickup.

I just bought a reasonably expensive Jazz and couldn't work out why the top end was being overpowered by the bass frequencies, until I noticed that the pickups weren't level. The G and D side was lower in the body. I don't know how the previous owner got an even sound out of the instrument. Anyway, I levelled pickups and even that little bit of adjustment made a significant improvement to the overall balance and sound.

While you''re at it, I'd also set up the action and put on a new set of strings.

Another +1 for lowering the height of the pickup here

on each of my P basses, the pickup under the E string is slightly lower (closer to the body) than it is under the other strings
And yes, new strings and set-up will also help

I usually balance my pickups using the PFL facility on a good mixer. Plug the bass straight into a mixer, play each string and note the signal strength of each. Then I raise/lower the pickups until all output readings match right across the strings. I do this after a good setup i.e. truss rod adjustment, bridge saddle height and intonation adjustment.

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1493231803' post='3286803']
I usually balance my pickups using the PFL facility on a good mixer. Plug the bass straight into a mixer, play each string and note the signal strength of each. Then I raise/lower the pickups until all output readings match right across the strings. .....
[/quote]

I had Max at sfx build me a device similar to this coupled with an AB box.