Why become a member? ×

Bands you liked that didn't last

Yank

Deaf School in the mid 70s. Renowned for having a stunning live show. When I saw them the live show was... stunning. Half gig, half theatre.

Racing Cars also in mid 70s... but a bit later than above. They were the next big thing, but became a bit irrelevant once Punk fired up.

Whilst on mid 70s.. whatever happened to Alberto y Lost Trios Paranoias?

Bands that didn't last?

All the John Mayall bands, Cream, The Jeff Beck Group and Fleetwood Mac. IMO these bands were redefining musicianship and didn't last long nearly long enough.

Then there's Kokomo, Gonzales and Oblivion Express. There were some fantastic bands that hardly got on the radar.

[quote name='thebigyin' timestamp='1493037364' post='3285016']
Cry of Love superb band only 2 albums released real shame
[/quote]

Cry of Love were superb. Audley Freed is one of my favorite guitarists. Another of my favorites is David Grissom from the short lived and now defunct Storyville with Malford Milligan on vocals. We do a few of their songs in our set including;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtD4xi5dOvk

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1493040856' post='3285089']
Levitation
Dark Star
King L
The Thorns
[/quote]

Levitation were superb. I saw them supporting All About Eve and they were probably the better band on the night.

[quote]The was a band in the late 80's called The Adventures. They had a couple of hits and an album but they soon faded.[/quote]

As in 'Broken Land'? They were from around my neck of the woods. I sometimes gig with their former lead guitarist/songwriter.

D

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' timestamp='1493046909' post='3285166']
Creedance Clearwater revival.- Only active for 5 years. They had some great stuff
[/quote]

This seems to be an easy thing to forget about a lot of well-regarded bands from that era: The Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Doors, Free - all got a hell of a lot done in quite a short space of time.

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1493039940' post='3285069']
Another of my favorites is David Grissom from the short lived and now defunct Storyville with Malford Milligan on vocals. We do a few of their songs in our set including;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtD4xi5dOvk
[/quote]I loved Storyville, especially the first album, A Piece Of Your Soul (the second, Dog Years, was a bit meh); great guitarists, top vocals and a rhythm section to die for (Tommy Shannon and Chris Layton).

There's a lot to be said for bands breaking up after a short time, while they're still at the top of their game, before they have a chance to become a parody of themselves.

As someone else pointed out earlier in the thread, The Doors, Hendrix etc did a lot in a short time. The Beatles' recording career only lasted seven years. I find it staggering that Paul Weller broke up The Jam aged just 23 years old.

Edited by PaulGibsonBass