Why become a member? ×

New neighbours threaten venues future

bassjim

Great little venue we play at is now under threat from a disgruntled new neighbour.

Couple of weeks ago: Usually a great gig and we are not exactly heavy metal loud. We were constantly told to keep the volume down to a ridiculous level where the drummer even with hot rods, tippy tapping to the point it just became hopeless. Like almost acoustic guitar volume.
Talk about kill the atmosphere. Couldn't get a groove going on anything, punters looking bemused ect.

Why?

New neighbour moves in and creates merry hell. Apparently had been round with a meter to record volumes when other bands have been on. Its not a venue known for really OTT loud bands. Just quality bands. But a band noise is a band noise I suppose so obviously its going to be audible from outside the pub to some extent.

We are debating playing there again if this is how its to be as its not enjoyable for us or the punters. We had a lot leave saying they were really sorry, they know its not our fault but its not the same. Just really flat.

This place has been a popular music venue for many years and now looks like, unless any magistrate is involved that favours the pub, its finished.

Sad really. We move onto the next venue but the venue will be starved of its regulars. Cant see them spending a lot of money to do something different other than the usual block of flats. Hope the building work drags on and on and on..

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1493039213' post='3285052']
This really grates doesn't it, move next to a pub well known for having regular music and then start complaining about noise. FFS! Surely if you think it's going to be a problem just don't buy the house in the first place? I despair, I really do.
[/quote]
And to add insult to injury its one of the few remaining places with carpet everywhere. The one place I always get a great bass sound and some moaning git ruins it.
The pub just had some changes made to the band area to improve the experience too. Big shame.

[quote name='bassjim' timestamp='1493048132' post='3285175']
And to add insult to injury its one of the few remaining places with carpet everywhere. The one place I always get a great bass sound and some moaning git ruins it.
The pub just had some changes made to the band area to improve the experience too. Big shame.
[/quote]

Indeed a terrible shame. Wonder if the same guy would move next to Heathrow and then start complaining about the noise of the Planes taking off / landing. He does have his own noise meter. B3llend.

If the complainant has bought the house, not rented it, he would 100% have been aware of the venue and the price would have taken that into account, same as a busy road, railway etc. Bellend indeed.
I'm sure plenty of us signed the recent petition against exactly this situation. Just goes to show, it is always worth registering protest when the opportunity arises.

[quote name='GuyR' timestamp='1493062047' post='3285333']
If the complainant has bought the house, not rented it, he would 100% have been aware of the venue and the price would have taken that into account, same as a busy road, railway etc. Bellend indeed.
I'm sure plenty of us signed the recent petition against exactly this situation. Just goes to show, it is always worth registering protest when the opportunity arises.
[/quote]

Was it a good buy -[i] i.e. they got it cheap[/i] - because having a "[i]noisy[/i]" venue nearby reduced the price and by getting rid of said noisy venue pushes the price of the house up?

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1493062236' post='3285336']

Was it a good buy -[i] i.e. they got it cheap[/i] - because having a "[i]noisy[/i]" venue nearby reduced the price and by getting rid of said noisy venue pushes the price of the house up?
[/quote]

- That would be a cynical but possibly accurate view of the position.

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1493048976' post='3285185']

Indeed a terrible shame. Wonder if the same guy would move next to Heathrow and then start complaining about the noise of the Planes taking off / landing. He does have his own noise meter. B3llend.
[/quote]

Had this at the airfield i fly out of.. "it was quiet when we viewed the property" :-):

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1493039213' post='3285052']
This really grates doesn't it, move next to a pub well known for having regular music and then start complaining about noise. FFS! Surely if you think it's going to be a problem just don't buy the house in the first place? I despair, I really do.
[/quote]

Yes, it's a real annoyance to me, and many others too. I mean, would you buy a house next to the sea, then start complaining that you don't like smell of salty sea air, and can't bear the noise that seagulls make? :(

This problem is spreading, and has already closed and threatens to close several venues in Cardiff. Several years back, a great venue called "The Point" closed because someone bought a trendy flat in Cardiff bay, and complained about the noise. It was in a disused church, and was a great, atmospheric venue. Actually, the church had lain empty for years - so turning it into a venue for music & the arts saved it from dereliction

A few weeks back the Womanby Street area of Cardiff (known for several live music venues) lost it's superb "Dempseys Bar" and now complaints from residents threaten to close both "Fuel, Rock club" "The Moon Club" next door and "Clwb Ifor Bach" (known as "The Welsh Club") opposite!!!
When will this lunacy stop? The whole reason for buying a city centre flat, or staying in a hotel in a city centre, is to enjoy the "vibe" and atmosphere of that city? Isn't it? Take away all the venues and music bars and you have no reason to live in, or visit that city centre.... grrr

In the ongoing case of the single complaint re Fuel Rock club, a well known chain of pubs is attempting to convert their pub into a hotel - methinks that this is an attempt to create further rooms where guests can stay, and not be disturbed by live music, and / or for that corporation to take over the whole street, and buy up the other clubs. We all need to act now, to save our live music venues....

PS. "The point" had closed due to a single complaint! :(
And "Fuel Rock Club" is under threat due to yes, a single complaint! And the resident who filed the complaint is renting, and not even an owner occupier!

The Haymakers in Cambridge was an iconic live music venue for many years. The Council then approved the building of a load of sheltered accommodation opposite and the live music was stopped almost immediately. They then installed triple glazing but the heat when playing there in summer was unbearable, even with air con running. Haven't been there for years although I think they still do a bit of music, albeit very sanitized. Unfortunately, loud live music only appeals to a minority and we all know how intolerant we are as a society.

We played a festival / fund raiser for the local cricket club the other year, it was on once a year only Saturday afternoon and evening, curfew 11pm, Sunday afternoon and evening curfew 9pm, small PA sited as far away from the houses as possible, they had a certain neighbour moaning by 4pm Saturday about the music and having called the police by 8pm, the festival was allowed to run it's course but the idiot complained to the parish council, result no more festival, no more cricket team, no more cricket club, land sold to developer for new housing, I hope the precious scumbag is happy with his new far closer neighbours!

Have always wondered about people buying a house next to a known source of noise and then complaining.
In 80's my local pub / venue sold off flats above the pub. Low and behold the people that bought one of them complained of the noise from the bands.
Didn't help that one of the couple was in the police and knew his rights.
No idea how they got around it or whether the couple just moved but al of a sudden it was ok again.
Have to say if i would never buy a flat above any bar / pub / venue as there will always be noise during busy nights.

Dave

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1493117294' post='3285700']
Yes, I remember The Point fondly. Played there a few times, it was always a good night. Sadly missed. I hope the git who complained has an infestation of fleas.
[/quote]

Me too, great venue. Enjoyed many nights there!

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1493115267' post='3285669']
PS. "The point" had closed due to a single complaint! :(
And "Fuel Rock Club" is under threat due to yes, a single complaint! And the resident who filed the complaint is renting, and not even an owner occupier!
[/quote]

Complete insanity. Cannot believe that Womanby st is under threat. It's in the City Centre & has been a live music area for as long as I can remember, when will this madness end?

Does this same person complain about the noise in the city centre on Rugby International Days? Lets get the Millenium stadium shut down too is it?!

In my previous life as a sound-level meter carrying professional, I have sympathy with you and the venue.
It looks like the new owner is manipulating 100 year old case-law to make more money from his investment.

Rushing around with a sound level meter and making a big hullabaloo looks like deliberate scare tactics,
and any sound level reading he has taken will not be repeatable in court. Only the judgement of an independent professional from the Local Authority would carry any weight. There's a lot more to "Noise Nuisance" than a simple uncalibrated sound-level reading from an untrained whinger.

Presumably the building is an obvious music venue with advert boards or posters outside that are
clearly visible to the general public and has a Public Entertainment Licence.

The venue owners need to stand firm and not be intimidated. The venue owners/manager could consider
contacting the local authority and enquire if they have received any complaints.

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1493116375' post='3285687']
The Haymakers in Cambridge was an iconic live music venue for many years. The Council then approved the building of a load of sheltered accommodation opposite and the live music was stopped almost immediately. They then installed triple glazing but the heat when playing there in summer was unbearable, even with air con running. Haven't been there for years although I think they still do a bit of music, albeit very sanitized. Unfortunately, loud live music only appeals to a minority and we all know how intolerant we are as a society.
[/quote]
they have done similar to the portland arms in cambridge, but i think it is student housing.
in this case tho, i think the brewery have been very supportive in knocking back any issues. i know the developer tried to buy the pub and close it, greene king told them to bog off and extended the gig room

AFAIK, if you move into an area where there is an existing 'noise issue' you have no real basis of complaint as the noise was already there; if however a 'noise issue' is introduced to an otherwise peaceful area then any complaint will be investigated and either removed or mitigated to all parties satisfaction.

So anyone moving just down from a music venue / pub should expect some form of music being played - either live bands or CD Jukebox - if they're buying the place, their legal search would have turned this up; and if they're renting, the landlord / agent should have informed them of local 'amenities' so there's no reason for not knowing.

I've actually been on both sides of this argument. I used to rent a flat in a town centre, a few doors down from a pub that was well known for playing loud music. Yes, outside you could hear the music as if you were in the place, but in the flat it wasn't too bad and easily drowned out by the TV so I wasn't bothered at all; also I knew from experience that the landlord was a responsible chap and at 11pm on the dot every night, the music was turned down or off so I never felt as if I had a valid reason to complain whereas I suspect many others would from the tales told above.

At the same place a few years later, they built a new library literally in the back yard. As part of the building services they installed an air conditioning system which initially ran through the night; and when it shut down (as it did regularly) it literally screeched - loud enough to wake me up and I sleep through anything. Myself and several other neighbours complained about this new noise issue and the council deployed noise meters etc and the report agreed it was too loud and too often. The library said they needed to run the air conditioning to keep the books in good condition but a compromise was made so that the system would shut down between 11pm and 7.30am when things were a bit cooler anyway so we got some sleep and they got their books preserved.

I think the world is a better place when common sense prevails.