Why become a member? ×

Hello from Exeter

Yukimajou

Hi Folks

Glad to be here, I have been playing the bass now for a grand total of about 3 months and am loving it. I tried to play the guitar and had a dawning realisation that I am not a guitarist and most of my heroes are bassists anyway, so I thought I'd give the lower end a go and it feels much more natural to me. I have a Korean Epiphone Thunderbird and a 30W Ashdown amp that fits my needs perfectly at the moment. Although I am gassing for a Fender P-Bass and an [url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Aria-FEB-Fretless-Electro-Acoustic-Bass-Guitar-Flame-Natural/1FE1?utm_medium=display&network=criteo&retargeting_or_placement=retargeting&utm_source=criteo"]Aria Fretless Acoustic/Electic bass[/url]. Does anyone have any experience of the Aria? If so is it as good as it looks?

Really looking forward to being a part of the community.

• Like 1

[quote name='baldwinbass' timestamp='1493055103' post='3285242']
Hi, and welcome - though I don't have experience of the Aria.

:) :)
[/quote]

Thanks for the welcome. I have had a quick go on one (Aria that is) and it feels great, but I thought it'd be wise to see if anyone can tell me if there's anything to look out ofr (akin to the wheels falling off!).

Hi Yuki,

Welcome to BC. I too can't claim to know the Aria. Accoustics can be very quiet. That's all I would say. My personal view is, if you need an amp to hear the acoustic, you might as well have an electric one. But don't let me stop you.

All I would suggest is to buy it online - so you can try for 30 days and send it back if you change your mind.

Good luck on playing the bass.

Hello,

Few years ago Exeter was the starting point to my cycling trip around Cornwall - one of the best thing's I've done in my life.

No idea about the Aria but the GAS for P Bass is something everyone suffers from. Even if we have quite a few PBasses, there's always a different color, signature or make or whatever - the excuses to buy one are endless.

All the best.

Thanks for the welcome everyone. It is great to find a bass forum based in the UK.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1493061826' post='3285326']
All I would suggest is to buy it online - so you can try for 30 days and send it back if you change your mind.
[/quote]

Good tip, thanks for that!

[quote name='PawelG' timestamp='1493062577' post='3285344']
Few years ago Exeter was the starting point to my cycling trip around Cornwall - one of the best thing's I've done in my life.

No idea about the Aria but the GAS for P Bass is something everyone suffers from. Even if we have quite a few PBasses, there's always a different color, signature or make or whatever - the excuses to buy one are endless.
[/quote]

Good to see another Pompey resident here, I grew up there. It's funny with the P Bass, I have always hated Fender guitars, too many associations with boring I'm afraid. But I played the Fender P Bass and thought it played like a dream so I have to save for one.

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1493100217' post='3285509']
is it raining down there?
[/quote]

Alas not I'm afraid Steve. At the moment the sun is trying to break through and winning, which is a pain. I am photophobic so am 'alergic' to strong sunlight (exposure causes migraines and all manner of nasties!).

I did a bit of a search and found this video from Aria with someone playing the bass I am looking at. I love the sound of it, so have to decide whether a P bass is a higher priority or not...

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sepyykBSCGw"]Aria Video on You Tube[/url]

Edited by Yukimajou

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1493190803' post='3286269']
Welcome, if you have GAS then avoid Mansons. I'd sworn Fender were overpriced and trading on the brand until I dropped in, tried a Highway One Jazz and fell in love. Still my favourite to play :)
[/quote]

I do tend to avouid mansons as they seem to have a policy of overcharging on everything! I use Project Mucis in Exeter, a much friendlier place that charge realistically.

Hello from just across the river Severn, in South Wales :)
Nothing wrong with a bit of P bass GAS. I think every bass player should have a P bass in their collection

I'm not familiar with that particular Aria. Although I played some old Aria's years back, and they always seemed great basses to me, and continue to have been highly rated by owners - so no reason to believe that the fretless acoustic Aria you like should be any different

As for comments about acoustic basses. I owned an Ibanez electro-acoustic. It wasn't an expensive bass, but it was great quality, construction and sound, and felt lightweight & good to play. I didn't keep it only because my son loved it - and still does. Acoustic basses are great for playing along to CD's, records, MP3's, without needing an amp. If you have a quiet acoustic guitarist pal to jam with, you can usually hear the bass, but not with loud guitarists or several players...

However, my old Ibanez sounded absolutely lovely through an amp - not quite like any other bass I've heard, other than a mates electro-acoustic. If you like the sound when amplified, even better. As I mentioned, they also tend to be very lightweight, despite being slightly more bulky than an electric bass guitar...

Welcome to BC :)

[quote name='Yukimajou' timestamp='1493228042' post='3286759']
I do tend to avouid mansons as they seem to have a policy of overcharging on everything! I use Project Mucis in Exeter, a much friendlier place that charge realistically.
[/quote]

welcome from Teignmouth!
If you check out the used section in Mansons, there are some bargains to be had, I find Project musics bass selection pretty dire TBH

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1493373782' post='3287831']
welcome from Teignmouth!
If you check out the used section in Mansons, there are some bargains to be had, I find Project musics bass selection pretty dire TBH
[/quote]

Hello Teignmouth

True, I'd have agree about Project Music's bass section, but As I am just starting out on my bass life they have everything I am gassing for. I prefer the staff there as well because I find most of the Manson's staff are a bit elitist, I do have to say that their bass guy is great though, which is handy!

[quote name='Bbiigg Kev' timestamp='1493636134' post='3289539']
Hi.
[/quote]

Hi back to you Bbiigg Kev.

How's life in the midlands and the Netherlands?

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1493373782' post='3287831']

welcome from Teignmouth!
[/quote]

A friend of mine always gets good second hand amps and cabs at
Mansons.