Why become a member? ×

Status Kingbass MkI Prototypes - Serial #001, and #002
£8000

DarrenGoldsmith

[size=4][color=#1d2129][font=inherit]I'm selling my two Status Kingbass MkI prototypes, serial numbers #001, and #002. That's right... the first two Kingbasses ever made (gasp!)[/font][/color]

[color=#1d2129][font=inherit]I've owned these beauties for over 15 years... and as you'd expect from Rob Green at Status, even as prototypes, they're beautifully crafted. Both basses are signed by Mark King, and each has a separate backplate (also signed, and engraved) that can be swapped out for the current one, if you wish. Both feature a 32” bolt-on neck with BendWell, and soapbar pickups. Each one has a certificate of authenticity. [/font][/color]

[color=#1d2129][font=inherit]Electronics/EQ are as per the existing Kingbass MkI Standard and Artist.[/font][/color]

[b][color=#1d2129][font=inherit]Prototype #001[/font][/color][/b]

[color=#1d2129][font=inherit]Bookmatched Rosewood / Mahogany body finished in satin polyurethane lacquer. The woven graphite neck has the first BendWell and the phenolic fingerboard has an 816mm (32.13") scale with a phenolic top-nut. The string spacing at the bridge is 19mm. [/font][/color]

[b][color=#1d2129][font=inherit]Prototype #002[/font][/color][/b]

[color=#1d2129][font=inherit]Ash / Myrtlewood body finished in satin polyurethane lacquer with a vintage amber sunburst. The woven graphite neck incorporates a BendWell and the phenolic fingerboard has an 816mm (32.13") scale with a phenolic top-nut. The string spacing at the bridge is currently 16.5mm but the neck width is suitable for a standard 19mm spacing if preferred. [/font][/color]

[color=#1d2129][font=inherit]They're both currently fitted with 30-90 gauge roundwound Hotwires. Prototype #002 still has the strings that Mark played when he tested the bass. If you're lucky, some talent might rub off.[/font][/color]

[color=#1d2129][font=inherit]This is your chance to own something very, very rare and quite unique... a piece of bass history. Only 5 prototypes of the original Kingbass MkI were ever built. I've noodled around on both basses from time to time, and I used #001 for the track Hyperactive on a Thomas Dolby mini tour (he LOVED the sound!). I've mostly just had them to admire, however, and they're both in excellent condition... no dinks, or scratches.[/font][/color]

[color=#1d2129][font=inherit]I've taken a few pictures to show them off here... but if anyone wants to see any other shots/angles, just let me know.[/font][/color]

[color=#1d2129][font=inherit]I'm selling these as a pair for £8,000.00. Buyer collects (from Towcester, in South Northamptonshire), or pays (insured) shipping.[/font][/color]

[color=#1d2129][font=inherit]Both basses come with a Hiscox moulded hard case.[/font][/color][/size]

[size=4][attachment=243984:kingbasses_1.jpg][attachment=243986:kingbasses_2.jpg][attachment=243987:kingbasses_3.jpg][attachment=243988:kingbasses_4.jpg][attachment=243989:kingbasses_5.jpg][attachment=243990:kingbasses_6.jpg][attachment=243991:kingbasses_7.jpg][attachment=243992:kingbasses_8.jpg][attachment=243993:kingbasses_9.jpg][attachment=243994:kingbasses_10.jpg][attachment=243995:kingbasses_11.jpg][attachment=243996:kingbasses_12.jpg][attachment=243997:kingbasses_13.jpg][attachment=243998:kingbasses_14.jpg][/size]

Lovely pair! We have a Bass chatter who I think owns prototype 4. I hope he still owns it anyway! I played it many years ago and the little beast pretty much did all the work for me. Certainly one of my favourites, a really cool bass.

Thanks for your comments, folks!

TheGreek: laughing out loud! Haha!

BassApprentice: it's a modest collection (all Status), apart from the two Kingbass MkI protoypes, I have the #002 Kingbass MkII (The Stuttgart Bass), a monster sounding Jonas Hellborg/Status custom (has a 36-volt pre-amp, powered by 4 x 9-volt batteries!), and an original Series II (#397).

dood: I think that might be Trev?

• 3 weeks later...