Why become a member? ×

Playing in Musicals - Where to start?

BassApprentice

I played bass for a couple of musicals in Secondary School and really enjoyed the experience of learning the parts and ques.

I was just wondering from people who are currently involved in local musicals etc. How did you get involved? Obviously quite a broad question but any advice would be most helpful.

Thanks!

Edited by BassApprentice

This might seem a dumb question, but do you read? I read (frankly not well enough) and it's definitely a pre-requisite.

I've played as a last minute dep in a couple of pit bands in provincial theatre. I've got the gigs by chance - one from a friend seeing an advert/plea for help on Twitter, the other by knowing the MD, who needed help out of a hole.

OTOH, I too enjoyed both the challenge and the end result - so I'm with you all the way!

These gigs seem to get filled by friends of friends. Usually from jazz circles IME, as there's usually a guaranteed level of theory / notation knowledge.

I'm quite quite sure other more experienced hands will be along shortly, but that's my 0.02. Break a leg!

I have picked up a few from my old sixth forms and schools, I have reached out and said I'm available for anything, they always need people, maybe that's a good place to start.

It's definitely a challenge! Some easier than others and more enjoyable, loved doing Our House and We Will Rock You, not so much FAME (crazy!) or High School Musical (cheesy). It is important to keep your mind flexible and open to all of the different pieces, as each musical will inevitably encompass and cover a range of styles, tempos, time signatures, keys etc, so even if you do not like the song, you have to give it your all, or (in my experience) the whole piece falls flat. Another key thing is being on the ball all the way through. Even if you know the show well and know you are not in for another 3 numbers, do not drop the ball. Play every song precisely, and like your it's your last.

If you get lost, drop out, keep counting, and come back in. Basic advice that applies to any gig but in theatre this is very important, it's better to drop out than to guess and get it wrong.

Being comfortable with the pieces is important, the longer you have to read and practice the better, however this isn't always possible and there is often never any backing tracks that match so in that case your sight reading needs ot be on the ball.

It's a great experience, getting thrown in to Our House by Madness aged 16, not being able to sight-read or understand basic music theory was a challenge but one I'm glad I took on, what a buzz!

Best of luck!

Edited by ROConnell

Can't give you any pointers in Scotland - but certainly down here in the Midlands, the musicals music scene is very tight knit but not impossible to break into.

The best advice I can give, is start going to the local Am Dram group performances and get to know who the musical directors are... then from there, go and speak to them at the pit after the performance and massage their egos... or go and stalk them on Facebook. The MDs tend to know each other and when bands are put together, MDs calls each other when they are players short.

Make sure your reading is up to scratch... you tend to get only one shot... and if you balls it, you are not going to be even bottom of the "who gets the call" list.

Oh... and extra prizes for the most inventive graffiti in the score.

As mentioned, your reading will need to be absolutely spot on. Even moreso than if you thought if yourself as a reasonable session reader, as the MD will expect perfection at the first pass and for the audience to hear a flawless performance.

The music will be dreadful and the audiences often far from discerning but you'll have to perform the parts well. It tends to be a gig given to known faces hence well regarded theatre bassists are often very busy despite not being household names. I believe the Basschat user OutToPlayJazz is active in that scene.

Edit: I've just realised he hasn't logged in to the forum in five years!

Edited by Chris2112

Bands are generally booked by the MD for the show. Go to shows and introduce yourself and buy a few drinks. Don't be too pushy as it is usually a case of "deadman's shoes" and the person you want to replace my be a longterm personal friend of the MD.

I've done a few. Great fun all of them, hard work though.

I did a couple at Birmingham Rep a few years ago before starting uni. They were through the drummer who was doing the show.

I also did a panto back in January. That was through a guitarist that I know.

As has been said, your reading has to be spot on.

I got the chance to sit in and watch the guy who was teaching me years ago, that's what got me interested in doing shows. It's a good idea to contact whoever is doing shows near you and ask if you could sit in and watch them. Give you an idea of what goes on.

Great resource here for scores:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MusicalTheatreScores/

There are lots of scores there for some of the most common musicals (and a lot of less common ones). It has given me a good idea of the standard of sight reading required (and mine failed once it got to 6 flats!!), plus it is a much more fun experience practising using these especially as I'm not in a band anymore. It does seem that a lot of the scores would require a bass with a low B though, so that might be a consideration for the OP.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

My reading isn't awful, a bit rusty so that is something I need to practice. I thought it might be a bit cliquey so will try and look to make some contacts and see what happens.

[quote name='RalphDWilson' timestamp='1493293194' post='3287186']
Great resource here for scores:

[url="https://www.reddit.com/r/MusicalTheatreScores/"]https://www.reddit.c...lTheatreScores/[/url]

There are lots of scores there for some of the most common musicals (and a lot of less common ones). It has given me a good idea of the standard of sight reading required (and mine failed once it got to 6 flats!!), plus it is a much more fun experience practising using these especially as I'm not in a band anymore. It does seem that a lot of the scores would require a bass with a low B though, so that might be a consideration for the OP.
[/quote]

Thanks for that! I'll have a look and try and dredge up all my musical knowledge from the back of my brain

Edited by BassApprentice