Why become a member? ×

Focusrite iTrack - recording demos on iPad

Rich Lennon

I [i]think [/i]I'm posting this in the right place.

I want to start doing some very basic home recording to let me demo up ideas, and since I don't own a laptop I've been looking at ways to use my iPad and avoid the extra expense of buying a new computer.

From a basic bit of research it looks as though I should be able to us the Focusrite iTrack to record guitar and bass (guitar via my Blackstar HT5 with an emulated speaker output, bass via a DI box into the XLR connection on the iTrack) and program the drums on Garageband.

Has anyone got any experience with that kid of setup? Or an alternative approach to recording on an iPad?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Rich,

As it happens, I'm a member here, and also work for Focusrite, so I can answer a couple of questions here :)
It depends which iTrack product you're referring to really, I think you're either referring to the iTrack Solo or iTrack One Pre.
With either of them, you do not need to use a DI Box, as they each have an instrument input, the Solo as a separate socket (1x XLR, 1 x 1/4"), the One Pre as the middle part of the combo XLR port. You could then look at using an Amp sim within Garageband on whatever DAW you're using if you want a particular sound.

The One Pre is an evolution of the Solo in a different form, and so as such, the One Pre benefits from a higher gain range on the instrument input etc. But the Solo does allow for simultaneous recording of a Mic and Instrument (i.e. both inputs) if needed, the One Pre is one Mic/Instrument at a time.

As you mention, you can then use a DAW on your iPad such as Garageband, Cubasis or Auria to multitrack record your instruments.

Any other questions, just ask :)
Si // Focusrite Media Relations

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1493123974' post='3285783']
Hi Rich,

As it happens, I'm a member here, and also work for Focusrite, so I can answer a couple of questions here :)
It depends which iTrack product you're referring to really, I think you're either referring to the iTrack Solo or iTrack One Pre.
With either of them, you do not need to use a DI Box, as they each have an instrument input, the Solo as a separate socket (1x XLR, 1 x 1/4"), the One Pre as the middle part of the combo XLR port. You could then look at using an Amp sim within Garageband on whatever DAW you're using if you want a particular sound.

The One Pre is an evolution of the Solo in a different form, and so as such, the One Pre benefits from a higher gain range on the instrument input etc. But the Solo does allow for simultaneous recording of a Mic and Instrument (i.e. both inputs) if needed, the One Pre is one Mic/Instrument at a time.

As you mention, you can then use a DAW on your iPad such as Garageband, Cubasis or Auria to multitrack record your instruments.

Any other questions, just ask :)
Si // Focusrite Media Relations
[/quote]

Thanks - that's really helpful. One further question - would routing via an amp/DI box still work, or am I reliant on amp sims for tones?

• 4 weeks later...

Oooh, timely thread (well, ive only just noticed it).

Im using a iRig HD at the moment with my ipad pro. Its ok, i dont think i have any issues. Was thinking of getting the One Pre though, as it seems like it uses a more readily available cable (ive had ot replace the IK lead twice so far). Anyway, im trying to find out if the One Pro sounds any better, and has better latency than the iRig.
All i need is to get my passive bass in to Ampkit or GB so i can play along with Spotify when learnign new songs.

Im well aware any advice could be biased from someone that works for one of these companies, but i dont think id get poor info from someone as respected as Si :-)