Why become a member? ×

Item Damaged by courier...Advice needed.

PauBass

I recently sent a speaker cab and it was damaged in transit. I insured the cab for the whole value, and paid extra as requested.

I believe I packed the cab well enough to survive the journey, I used a double lined corrugated strong box, lots and lots of bubble wrap and the cab also had a thick padded cover. The cab was tight inside the box and taped well so the parcel arrived safely but even then the courier managed to damage the cab. See photo:

[url="http://s105.photobucket.com/user/PauBass/media/Barefaced/image2_zpsqqjue2rr.jpg.html"][/url]

I don't really understand how did they manage to crack the cab like this!

As soon as the cab arrived and the damaged was seen I started a claim, a slow process with lack of communication from their side, people turning up to collect the cab for inspection without us having been notified, very late or no replies to emails, a few phone calls later and finally, quite a few days later someone from the company turned up to inspect the cab and yesterday I received an email saying: [b]Thank you for submitting your images of the damages in support of your claim request. We have received the result of the damage inspection and it is with regret that we inform you that on this occasion, the packaging was found to be insufficient for transport via courier.[/b]

Obviously I'm appealing their decision on the grounds that I packed the cab as per their website criteria. As mentioned I used lots and lots and lots of bubble wrap, the padded cover and a strong box. I have not seen or received any more detailed report, no mention on what exactly was insufficient or what aspect of the packaging, just a simple insufficient packaging.

If my appeal is not successful, what other options do I have?

I'm confident in the way the cab was packed and I don't really understand how they managed to cause this damaged!
The parcel must have sustained a very, very, very serious impact which clearly shows a lack of care when handling the parcel and the courier is trying to blame this on me and the lack of protection...we are talking cracking wood even with all the protection it had.

Has any one been on a similar position?

I have sent many, many items over the years, I always take good care of the packaging, and this is a first for me.

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

Bad news sorry about that. . I always think this is their starting point to see how many customers continue to push. Did the inspector check the packaging as well as inspecting the damaged cab, given that this is what they are basing their argument on?

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1493122301' post='3285754']
Bad news sorry about that. . I always think this is their starting point to see how many customers continue to push. Did the inspector check the packaging as well as inspecting the damaged cab, given that this is what they are basing their argument on?
[/quote]

Yes, they checked the cab and packaging in person and we only got the quoted reply above, no more details whatsoever.
To be honest I was expecting they would say it was down to packaging and refuse our claim, I did no think for one minute they would admit it was down to them mishandling the parcels..

Me and the person that received the cab, both agreed there was more then enough packaging, it was packed to their criteria, even some extra protection from the padded cover, and we don't really understand how they managed to crack the wood this way.

Edited by PauBass

The "not our fault" reply isn't surprising,seems like nobody accepts responsibility these days. It's a PITA but speak to trading standards,if you have legal cover with your house insurance talk to them too. Stick to your guns and make sure the courier knows there's no way in hell you're going to accept it.

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1493124227' post='3285790']
The "not our fault" reply isn't surprising,seems like nobody accepts responsibility these days. It's a PITA but speak to trading standards,if you have legal cover with your house insurance talk to them too. Stick to your guns and make sure the courier knows there's no way in hell you're going to accept it.
[/quote]

Great advice, thanks! I do believe we have legal cover so we'll make use as well as contacting trading standards.

Of course I'm not going to accept responsibility knowing I packed the item properly and it was their lack of care what caused the damaged.

[quote name='Steve Browning' timestamp='1493124296' post='3285794']
I wonder what sort of packaging would be required to withstand the knock that did that to a piece of wood?
[/quote]

Exactly my thoughts and what I said to them on one email.
If they managed to caused that damaged, even with all the protection the cab had, imagine the impact it must have sustained!

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1493122301' post='3285754']
I always think this is their starting point to see how many customers continue to push.
[/quote]

^^ This. In my experience, it is not in their interest to pay out, so they will deliberately push back, delay and frustrate to see if you give up before it goes too far.

I assume they get lots of claims every day, so they're probably quite good at this!

That's terrible, but not unusual.

I say this to be helpful - check the suspension of the actual driver(s). I had a driver damaged in transit. It must have sustained a fall/drop from a great height. The result was I needed a new driver.

I really hope you get this sorted. Don't give up. Couriers always deny responsibility as a first response.

Frank.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1493138433' post='3285981']
Small claims court..
[/quote]

Wouldn't have thought of that. Excellent way to go
Trading standards have always been excellent for me and with your go ahead they take it on and deal with it for you.

Judge Rinder ?

Dave

Aye. Trading Standards,small claims court are good. A written letter with your complaint,preferably "signed for" so there's a record of them receiving it. is another thing I'd suggest. A wee message on their FB page with photos, warning others of the shabby way they are treating your claim might work wonders.

A damaged delivery is one thing,folks reading about it just think "Bad Luck".When they read the company is trying to weedle out of responsibility then they might think of how it could affect themselves in a similar situation.

This is all really good advice, thank you very much!

Small claims, trading standards, Facebook post....I'm not giving up, it was their fault, not mine!

Great point Fretmeister, I will get in touch with the cab maker and see if they can shed any light on the force needed to cause the damage, it might definitely help with the appeal.

Emailed the company first thing this morning saying I wanted to appeal this decision and still no reply, no surprise there as it's been this slow the whole process.

Also, if you can, get a statement from the cab supplier detailing what their standard packaging is like when they ship by courier. If yours was stronger then it adds weight to your argument.

Even if it's not a Barefaced, maybe Alex can help here? How do Barefaced ship their cabs?

Any new amps or cabs i've had delivered had polystyrene or similar on each corner and in some cases sheets of polystyrene along main sides of the cab. It would then bewrapped in polythene sealed bags and place in a sturdy cardboard box.
Others i've seen with same corners but the bag filled with quaver type packing to take up any space. I've also had some items where cab was also wrapped in bubble wrap with polystyrene edging along all top and bottom edges.

2nd hand cabs i've had delivered have usually been lots of tightly wrapped bubble wrap and lots of packing tape and some put additional cardboard inside the box to protect the main surface areas.

No amount of packing wil protect against misuse of customers packages. To do that level of damage thru bubble wrap and cardboard its serious and not routine.

Last cab i got delivered the guy literally thru it inside the hallway. My wife answered the door and he just literally lobbed it. I heard it from the other side of the house (practicing bass) and came to see what the loud thud was. He was away by that point or he would have got an earful.

Dave

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1493140888' post='3286007']
Email the cab maker to see if they could estimate the force needed to damage it like that.

[/quote]

Also get them to quantify the figure they give in laymans terms 'This would be equivalent to a heavy blow from a sledgehammer' or something like that so you can argue you should not be realistically expected to protect against such forces. Also as mentioned elsewhere, check out the outer packaging as it looks like this has had an argument with a fork lift or been dropped from height and the packaging will show any gouging from fork blades etc.

Just think, if you were going to smash this cab into pieces, you would need to use several huge blows from a heavy object such as the aforementioned sledgehammer and this is the level of force it has been subjected to; nothing routine about that and definitely their responsibility.

Go get 'em!!