Why become a member? ×

Help with dissertation research.

tgman1

[color=#191919][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=4]Hi guys, I'm currently studying music at the Academy of Contemporary music, as part of my dissertation (written on influential bass players and their techniques) I am conducting a short survey - only 5 questions, in an effort to collect data for my work. It would be massively appreciated if you guys could take a short amount of time to help me in filling in this for me.[/size][/font][/color]

Survey: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/D2F7WP8

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1493126622' post='3285832']
With question 5 do you mean to you personally or to bass playing in general?
[/quote]

5 is directed at wether you feel a bass player specifically from that list has had more of an effect on bass playing in general :)
and thanks to those who have responded! :)

Edited by tgman1

[quote name='tgman1' timestamp='1493127760' post='3285844']
5 is directed at wether you feel a bass player specifically from that list has had more of an effect on bass playing in general :)
and thanks to those who have responded! :)
[/quote]

I found that one a difficult one to answer, because you could go in the direction of 'influential as a musician' or 'influential as a multi-millionaire worldwide bassist with countless fans across the globe'. With todays generation in mind, I went with the latter.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1493134217' post='3285940']
The amount of these I've completed on behalf of students I should have a degree in music myself.... :D :D
[/quote]

Or at least be mentioned as a source or sauce......one or the other should do :lol:

I'm finding a lot of the questions difficult. Even Q1: Favourite bass player. There are so many who are favourite for many things; particular bass lines, techniques, styles etc.
Being a music fan isn't quite like following a football club.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1493142363' post='3286023']
I'm finding a lot of the questions difficult. Even Q1: Favourite bass player. There are so many who are favourite for many things; particular bass lines, techniques, styles etc.
Being a music fan isn't quite like following a football club.
[/quote]

I completely agree. Choosing a favourite anything tends to depend on the context and my mood.

Anyway, I've done the survey as best I can. I hope the dissertation goes well.

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1493149486' post='3286110']
Done! I put Paul McCartney as the last answer. I think he was the guy that brought the bass out from the back of the band. If you watch '50s band footage the bassist is usually an anonymous dude thumping away at the back, whereas McCartney was at the front doing the twin guitar/vocal thing with George. That must have made a lot of kids pick up the bass back in the day.
[/quote]
This; most definitely this.

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1493149486' post='3286110']
Done! I put Paul McCartney as the last answer. I think he was the guy that brought the bass out from the back of the band. If you watch '50s band footage the bassist is usually an anonymous dude thumping away at the back, whereas McCartney was at the front doing the twin guitar/vocal thing with George. That must have made a lot of kids pick up the bass back in the day.
[/quote]

Yup, me too...