Why become a member? ×

Extra hole in acoustic

This is a 70's Japanese-made acoustic with a nasty ouch in the back.
I'm looking to do a cheapish, quickish tidy up.
My forearm doesnt fit right in the soundhole, so very tricky to push from the inside.
I asked the owner and he'd be happy with me just cutting the part out and tidying the edges.
Any other quick n dirty suggestions? (keep it clean please!)
It looks like this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ANTORIA-FOLK-628-DREADNOUGHT-ACOUSTIC-GUITAR-1970s-/302286809698?nma=true&si=Qtahkv2mWuR9bt3RGpvMa3gYfNw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Here's the damage:
[attachment=244084:Antoria acoustic (1).JPG][attachment=244086:Antoria acoustic (2).JPG]

That doesn't look easy for a quick and cheap fix. You could try pushing it out using a stick with a cloth pad tied to the end. Maybe trim off a few bits that would prevent it pushing out with a sharp knife first. Then I'd probably lay it on a flat surface to push the dent out with the padded stick. Then some epoxy to hold it in place, carefully scraped down to leave a flat surface. Depends how quick and cheap you want. It would bear an obvious scar but would be better than a full "dentopsy"

So I'm in the process of attempting a repair like this on the top of my Shortbass. I do have a hole with a separate piece of wood thats actually detached mind you. My plan- gleaned from youtube- is to stabilise the area by glueing bits of veneer across the split from underneath, clamped with rare earth magnets whilst they dry. Then spread a lavish amount of glue over the veneer, and drop in the wood that has come away. Leave to dry.
Then, make some similar colour filler with some PVA and sawdust, and fill the cracks. I daresay it won't be perfect- especially with my woodworking skills- but I have hopes it will be playable once more, as these don't seem to be easy to get anymore.
Good luck!

That sounds like a good plan. Being on the front of yours the cosmetic appearance is much more important.
I ended up pulling the piece as close to flush as I could using 2 small spring hooks and lavishing pva round the edges. It looks rough as hell! I wasn't going to spend a ton of time and effort on it as it's a freebie for an acquaintance, but after a good set-up, the guitar itself plays and sounds really good. Not bad for a £1 charity shop score!
edit: here's the result. The flash has really picked out the PVA, it's nowhere as light as that under normal lighting. Good job it's on the back though!

[attachment=244334:Antoria acoustic (3).JPG]

Edited by MoonBassAlpha

You're not wrong Norris, it did take a fair bit!. It's actually a really nice sounding box, I did read somewhere they are out of the Ibanez factory, but we all know the spurious claims made of all sorts of Japan cr@p. A reasonable condition one should be worth a couple of hundred for how it plays/sounds, but you could probably score one for less than a ton.

• 4 weeks later...