Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision Bass 1979 Original US Model now SOLD
£975

ash

1979 Fender Precision - I call it the 'Sid' bass as it has the look of the classic punk bass of that era. The neck is very flat for a Precision and comfortable with a typical P bass nut width. Neck is superb and in great condition with good frets and working trussrod. Pickup is original although the wiring has been replaced - the pots, jack and cap look original too.
It has a replacement scratchplate which was on it when I bought it and I put on the Fender metal knobs as the originals had been replaced with generic plastic ones.
The thumbrest is also missing.
There is a Fender sticker in the neck pocket that matches the serial number. It's a very light bass for the era - around 4.2kgs. When I removed the scratchplate to check the wiring you can see that someone with Billy Sheehan pretentions has routed it to put in a humbucker at the neck and then filled it again. Hence the price for a very nice '79 US Fender. It's not pretty however with the scratchplate in place it can't be seen and this probably accounts for the replacement wires and scratchplate. This doesn't affect the structural integrity of the bass. Plays like a dream with Roto 45-100s and has a range of tones from mellow soul to clanky punk. The faded off white body has marks and dings as it's had a long gigging life but nothing near as bad as a 'roadworn' reissue. With the exceptions as detailed above the hardware, body, neck, pickup and finish are original to this bass.
No trades sorry, cash on pickup preferred and U.K. sale only. I can post at buyers expense if necessary however.
There's no case but I can provide a gigbag. I didn't think I'd ever part with it but having been reunited with my old bass from 20 years ago via a fellow Basschatter (cheers again Fitz) I'm letting this one go. £890 gets it.

Edited by ash

I keep getting drawn back to[s] gassing l[/s]ooking at this bass, always wanted a 70's P and I love this colour. My quandary is I've recently got a 2012 P which i really like too and i'd need to sell it off If i got this, however, it'd be a struggle if i didn't get on with this and then regretted selling my 2012 to cover it.

Damn us being the other side of the country! :rolleyes:

It's always a quandary with these things isn't it? I can only say I've had many Precisions US, MIJ, and custom jobs and this ranks as one of the best, the neck is much flatter than usual and very comfy, the weight is nice and light. Never felt a lighter 70's Precision. I'm only selling because I got my old Jazz bass back after it was missing in action for 20 odd years! Thanks for your interest!