Why become a member? ×

Rattle behind the nut

scalpy

I recently got a G&L LB100 with the intention of it being my ultimate soul machine. It came string with GHS boomers 45-100, and yesterday I restrung it with LaBella low tension flats, 42- 100. Sounds blinking marvellous but the D string is rattling behind the nut. It doesn't make a difference to the amplified sound but I don't want it to be a warning sign of anything else going wrong. The rattle goes away if I rest my finger on the string between the nut and the string tree. Any suggestions on how to get rid of it please? Thank you in advance.

The only time something like this has happened to me is when I reduced string gauge (your G has dropped, D too?). The nut notch was therefore too large, and I guess the string could vibrate past the nut when I dug in. I used a half-collar of paper under the string in the notch to fill it out, and the buzz stopped. Was a bit ugly, but I didn't want a new nut. Eventually it somehow settled down and I could take the paper out which was a relief. Might be worth a try?

It could well be the string. I've recently had the same thing with La Bella DTF. It's where the windings aren't 100% tight. For me, I need a new A string, which they supplied. The rest still buzzed a touch but have become better with Fast Fret and being played. Apparently this is fairly common on double basses.

If the rattle goes when pressing on the string, it seems to me that the string is not being pushed with enough force into the nut: the break angle is likely insuficient. Although the string retaining tree should do the trick, maybe it's slightly too tall? Either that alone or combined with the new string being a bit smaller than the previous and with a slightly too large nut slot, it vibrates there.

You could try cutting a new nut, if you think the slot is too big for these strings. Personally, I'd consider fitting a new string retainer, the ones that are a bar across all strings: if pressing down on the string behind the nut solves your issues, then the bar retainer will also remove the rattle.

Just jammed a piece of paper in the nut slot (ouch!) and the problem is resolved. I'll have a think about getting heavier strings, although it seems a shame as I thought these were would be on for life! Thanks for the help everybody.

Harry

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1493228212' post='3286761']
Just jammed a piece of paper in the nut slot (ouch!) and the problem is resolved. I'll have a think about getting heavier strings, although it seems a shame as I thought these were would be on for life! Thanks for the help everybody.

Harry
[/quote]see below

Edited by Grahambythesea

If the paper works you don't have to change to heavier strings. Take the string off and carefully line the offending nut notch with super glue. May be as well to put masking tape either side to catch dribbles. Let it set and try the strong again if too tight, ease the notch open a bit with a fine file. Should do the trick.

[quote name='Grahambythesea' timestamp='1493232617' post='3286813']
If the paper works you don't have to change to heavier strings. Take the string off and carefully line the offending nut notch with super glue. May be as well to put masking tape either side to catch dribbles. Let it set and try the strong again if too tight, ease the notch open a bit with a fine file. Should do the trick.
[/quote]

Great idea, might get a few Harley bentons to practice on mind! Much appreciated.

I'd assume that you've already had the screwdriver's out and tightened everything you can.

My old L2000 had a seriously annoying rattle, turned out that there is a grub screw in the bridge that pushes all the saddles together. Tightened it, and the rattle went away.

My old Tokai Love Rock (LP clone) had a similar rattle, and the only thing that sorted it out was a change of strings.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1493452284' post='3288373']
I'd assume that you've already had the screwdriver's out and tightened everything you can.

My old L2000 had a seriously annoying rattle, turned out that there is a grub screw in the bridge that pushes all the saddles together. Tightened it, and the rattle went away.

My old Tokai Love Rock (LP clone) had a similar rattle, and the only thing that sorted it out was a change of strings.
[/quote]

All is in order with the screws, and that little grub screw is one of the little touches G&L use I love so much. Not the most competent person in the world with regards to repairs etc so trying to find the stomach to superglue the nut or just buy a heavier gauge, £36's not the end of the world is it?

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1493454689' post='3288404']
I've been hankering after an LB100 for a while now. Are you generally happy with it?
[/quote]

The nut issue is my naivety. That apart I'm totally made up. I'm a dyed in the wool G&L fanboi so don't expect a rational answer but it kicks ass. I find Fenders a bit sterile and bland, I played a custom shop on the insistence of the producer on a session and this had much more personality. The only trouble is USA G&Ls are hard to come by at the moment as the distributor is changing. Mine was the last new one in the country apparently. I'm hoping to post some phone vids of it this weekend!