Why become a member? ×

Is there a 1x10 combo...

Elfrasho

Cheers folks. What i mean is, a combo that has a matching extension speaker cab, another 1x10. Allowing us to have a small amp for house use but then a 2x10 rig when you need to push a bit more air? I'm thinking the ashdown mibass is the only one i can find. Alot of the 10" amps are rated very low and don't even have extension cab sockets.

1x12s such as markbass cmd 121p exists, but that and extension cab is hitting 4 figures... Slightly out my budget....

I'm slightly surprised there's not a lot of options for this to be honest!

Promethean 3110 is a 300W 1x10 combo (just 12kg and very compact). Ibanez used to supply a P110C extension cab but this has been discontinued (still available second hand). You could make use of any decent 1x10 extension cab (e.g. Barefaced), but I am guessing you want something matching for aesthetics?

The Ashdown MiBass does look like a good option in terms of power (400W) and having a matching cab. But I'm not personally tempted by Ashdown gear. The other 1x10 combos, as you note, don't compete with the Promethean or Ashdown on power output.

However, if you go for a separate head then you have complete freedom to choose a quality head and you can get two matching 1x10 cabs from a range of cab suppliers, and just use one for your home rig?

Yup, I think the MiBass is likely your best option.
I've got a MiBass 2.0 and two Mi10 cabs, I might consider moving them on further down the line if you're interested, how much of a hurry are you in?

Eude

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1493195893' post='3286321']
Carvin MB10 has a matching 2x10.

[/quote]

That's pretty much exactly what i had imagined... This seems discontinued though?

Clearly due to lack of options there can't be a market for it!

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1493195880' post='3286320']
Yup, I think the MiBass is likely your best option.
I've got a MiBass 2.0 and two Mi10 cabs, I might consider moving them on further down the line if you're interested, how much of a hurry are you in?

Eude
[/quote]

Ah i thought the mibass was actually a combo? Not a 'attach the head to the cabinet and call it a combo' type setup? I've already got a microhead so i could just pick up 2 1x10 cabs, but for tidyness around the house, i really wanted a combo. The combo would live in my studio (ie corner of my bedroom) and the ext cab would live hidden away for when i have a gig.

I know you want a combo but as mentioned above, surely a pair of 1 x 10 cabs and a lightweight amp is the way to go?

I have a Barefaced one10 and a GK MB200 and the tone and volume might surprise a lot of players. It's an easy carry in a cajon bag. Add another one10 if required.

What's not to like about that set-up? :)

Frank.

[quote name='Elfrasho' timestamp='1493200661' post='3286379']
That's pretty much exactly what i had imagined... This seems discontinued though? Clearly due to lack of options there can't be a market for it!
[/quote]

These are still in production in the US. I have the combo and asked the UK dealer about the 2x10 - they quoted £330 to import one.

It's actually a very versatile combo.

[quote name='Elfrasho' timestamp='1493201025' post='3286382']

Ah i thought the mibass was actually a combo? Not a 'attach the head to the cabinet and call it a combo' type setup? I've already got a microhead so i could just pick up 2 1x10 cabs, but for tidyness around the house, i really wanted a combo. The combo would live in my studio (ie corner of my bedroom) and the ext cab would live hidden away for when i have a gig.
[/quote]

Ah, fair enough then dude.
There was also a MiBass combo, they do pop up on here second hand now and again, the cabs are a little more scarce though, especially the 8 ohm ones.

The new Genzler setup mentioned above is going to be awesome though if you've got the cash.

Best of luck finding something that fits.

Cheers,
Eude

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1493204280' post='3286424']
Once again I find myself scratching my head as to why Ibanez discontinued the Promethean.

Such a versatile thing.
[/quote]

If I could find one in good condition, I'd be on it like a nun sandwich! I miss mine, a lot.
The original Promethean 1x10 combo held its own against pro combos worth 4 times as much by all accounts.

I too have no idea why they stopped making it. So very silly...

Eude

there are a few on ebay but mainly in germany but there is one in devon
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ibanez-Promethean-P3110-300W-1x10-bass-combo-with-gig-bag-/252898517273?hash=item3ae1ed2119:g:NioAAOSwSypZAIee"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ibanez-Promethean-P3110-300W-1x10-bass-combo-with-gig-bag-/252898517273?hash=item3ae1ed2119:g:NioAAOSwSypZAIee[/url]

[quote name='lowhand_mike' timestamp='1493208355' post='3286484']
there are a few on ebay but mainly in germany but there is one in devon
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ibanez-Promethean-P3110-300W-1x10-bass-combo-with-gig-bag-/252898517273?hash=item3ae1ed2119:g:NioAAOSwSypZAIee"]http://www.ebay.co.u...ioAAOSwSypZAIee[/url]
[/quote]

That's the newer version - it's quite a different beast to the original, unfortunately.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1493208569' post='3286488']
That's the newer version - it's quite a different beast to the original, unfortunately.
[/quote]

Yup, it's the P5110 you want, otherwise don't bother.

Eude

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1493201103' post='3286384']
I know you want a combo but as mentioned above, surely a pair of 1 x 10 cabs and a lightweight amp is the way to go?

I have a Barefaced one10 and a GK MB200 and the tone and volume might surprise a lot of players. It's an easy carry in a cajon bag. Add another one10 if required.

What's not to like about that set-up? :)

Frank.
[/quote]

Which is what I'll probably end up doing due to the lack of choice really, but for home use and for wee jam sessions a combo would be my preferred choice now. Less cables in the house the better, I say!

[quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1493167938' post='3286225']
If I'm undestanding this right?

Ibanez Promethean P5110c

Ibanez Promethean P3110c

Redsub BT5110c

Harley Benton BA5110c

Ashdown Mibass 2.0 combo

Sure there's loads more but becoming rarer.
[/quote]

All of the above have extension speaker sockets. Some run at 250w as a stand alone combo and 500w with their matching extensions (or any other 8ohm extension). The P3110 is 300w stand alone and 300w with the extension (something to do with the windings). All have to be bought secondhand now though.

Edited by itsmedunc

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1493211501' post='3286539']
Promethean 3110 still available new. And it's a good little amp!
[/quote]

Ah! it is indeed! Really light little thing that sounds great. I used to have one but bought the P5110c to replace it. Looking back I should have stuck with the 3110. Half as light and half the price!

Edited by itsmedunc