Why become a member? ×

Dropping down to one bass?

AndyTravis

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1493222291' post='3286688']
Well...owning six and playing just one seems to make no sense either...
[/quote]

Having the choice is nice. It's like your local takeaway only having the one dish you usually order. Sometimes you want a hoagie instead of a calzone.

Hungry now..

[quote name='Bass_Guardian' timestamp='1493222456' post='3286691']

Having the choice is nice. It's like your local takeaway only having the one dish you usually order. Sometimes you want a hoagie instead of a calzone.

Hungry now..
[/quote]

Me too 😉

Hungry now..
[/quote]Not sure they know what a hoagie in England but I did tell Les for the kebab guide :)

Having the choice is nice. It's like your local takeaway only having the one dish you usually order.....
[/quote]

Wise words indeed Bass_Guardian
Ah, I feel better about owning several now - thanks for that :)

Been contemplating this again recently... well not one bass but two (one fretted, one fretless).

I have a lovely P and a fretless J because I keep telling myself they are useful to have in the locker, but in truth I never pick either up over my Wal.

Edited by CamdenRob

3 for me at the moment. 5 string with a low B, 5 string with a high C and an electro-acoustic 4. Just sold my only electric 4 (which was my first ever bass!) to my flatmates so it's kinda still in the family.

I do have an inexplicable desire to expand the collection to include a fretless 4/5, a fretted 4 (precision maybe) and just out of curiosity, a 6. Though I think first in line may have to be a fretless as it will add a completely different sound to the arsenal.

Edited by CameronJ

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1493284972' post='3287094']
Wise words indeed Bass_Guardian
Ah, I feel better about owning several now - thanks for that :)
[/quote]

Put me on the takeaway list as well.
It's just more love having more than one bass :)

You may sell others and be happy but I guarantee it will be temporary. Half the fun of basses for me is getting new ones.

I've slowed right down now and I think I could manage with just my Lakland and Bongo in terms of sonic palette but always welcome picking up the P bass or fretless for new ideas.

[quote name='margusalviste' timestamp='1493327419' post='3287590']
How can a bass player live with just one bass??? It's like a sculptor having just one hammer for everything. Jesus!!! I have ten!
[/quote]

Haha, I'll step down to 4 and I'll see what that's like...

One bass in the last 6 months, cut down from 4.

It's a relief...not having to clean, wax, setting up, etc basses I don't use...my current jazz bass plays from folk ro rock without probs, but I have to admit the collection was very easy on the eye

I have one bass that can do most things (Corvette FNA Jazzman 5er) but that one is the one I fall back on when needed. Generally I find myself using the last one in the door. Currently the Sandberg is the one coming to practice every week. If I needed the money or just had to cut down the Crovette would stay and the fretless and Sandberg would go without hesitation. I cannot ever sell the Vette.