Why become a member? ×

Respray/Refinish: Questions and Recommendations Required

Hola All.

I've got a 2002 4003 and tbh, although it's not in ridiculously poor condition, there's a few long and deep scratches and some dings etc. that although don't go through to the wood, I'm guessing won't be able to be polished out. As such I am contemplating getting it refinished/resprayed, I want to keep it in the Jetglo finish.

My questions are:
Would getting it resprayed affect the tone? It does sound rather lovely and I wouldn't want to compromise that.
With it being a neck-thru would the fretboard, as this is varnished, also need redoing?
With regards to the binding, would it require rebinding or could that just be clear sprayed?
Whats the difference with Nitro, Poly and Ric paints and varnishes? Apart from the obvious answer, whats going to be best for the task?

Now on to my next questions does anyone have any recommendation of anyone in the North Wales/North West area who could carry out the task to an exceptional standard?

What's the likely costs overall?

Many Thanks

Tim

No, it won't affect the tone.
Unless the fretboard is also damaged it wouldn't need redoing. It'd be masked off.
The binding would also be masked off from any colour coats.

The differences between the finishes is a pretty broad subject so I'll leave that one out :). Ricks use CV varnish, so if you wanted it as original as possible you'd need someone who has experience spraying that....I don't, Polys, Nitros, Shellacs and oils for me.

CV varnish is usually pretty thick, so you might want to try getting a local luthier to give it a wetsand and buff to remove the scratches. This might just do the trick. But there is obviously a risk of burn through, in which case you'd need the respray which you were considering anyway. A neckthrough will be quite expensive to refinish and gloss black is a difficult colour to get right as it'll show every imperfection. Good luck :).

Edited by Manton Customs