Why become a member? ×

fender jaguar bass

Rick05

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to track down a fender American standard jaguar bass with the p/j pickups.

http://intl.fender.com/en-GB/basses/jaguar/american-standard-jaguar-bass-rosewood-fingerboard-3-color-sunburst/

However they have been discontinued, and I cant find any second hand.

I wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with these basses and was there any reason they were discontinued? It seems they were stopped quite quickly after they came out, so wondered if they had any issues?

Cheers

Rick

I have one of the USA ones in my favourite Olympic White colour.

It's a fantastic bass. Lightweight, well built and the P and J pickups give a really great variety of sounds. Switched to series setting it's massive sounding. The active circuit gives even more scope for shaping your sound. I love mine and how good it looks is just the icing on the cake.

On the downside, the switching and active circuit are too complicated for some, although I find it simple enough, and the styling ins't to everyone's taste.

It is also possible to select a combination on the three pickup switches that gives no sound at all!! You quickly learn it and avoid it although it's a bad design feature in my opinion.

Overall, I'd say it's a superb bass, plays beautifully, is well made with quality parts, comes with an excellent ABS case and is probably (and subjectively, of course) the most versitile Fender bass there is.

I've no idea why they discontinued it other than guessing that it didn't sell as well as they'd hoped perhaps? I can think of no other reason?

Frank.

Edited by machinehead

Awesome, great to know the p/j version is worth it. I have the version with two single coils, but need a backup, so thought id look into this version. Shame there arnt many around.

Its either the jaguar or the Dingwall combustion ng2

• 2 weeks later...

There seems to be a lot of love for the Jaguars. I love mine with the two single coils, has so many variable tones.

I m having trouble tracking down the American standard version, so think I'm going to shell out and go for the Dingwall ng-2.

[quote name='Rick05' timestamp='1494279877' post='3294724']
There seems to be a lot of love for the Jaguars. I love mine with the two single coils, has so many variable tones.

I m having trouble tracking down the American standard version, so think I'm going to shell out and go for the Dingwall ng-2.
[/quote]

I'd hold out for a USA Jaguar if that's what you're hankering for. The itch will still be there. :)

Frank.