Why become a member? ×

5 strings about right, 4 old hat, over 5 just go get a baritone guitar instead!!

Wilco

So, as bassists we like the low notes right? A low B makes sense then - we like that. Luvverly low frequencies. A fiver also adds some flexibility with playing positions on the neck. So 5 string basses then, spot on & make sense yes?

On that basis why bother with a four string bass, when a five has the same strings but allows you to do more? Four's seem to be so last year.....

Six (& more) string basses tend to have higher strings than a G. What's the point in that for a bass? We're bassists right & we want to be driving the rhythm section along at the deep end, not fannying about at frequencies where guitarists twat around in!

In case you missed it this post is a little bit facetious, but grenade lobbed anyway......! :-)

Edited by Wilco

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1493220005' post='3286646']
Oh goody, this old chestnut again. :rolleyes: <_<
[/quote]

Thanks for the sarcastically 'positive' post which is a little bit disappointing coming from a moderator......

Clearly there's only a certain amount of things that can be discussed about bass guitars, & of course there will be duplication & no doubt this has been discussed before (but not that I could see recently).

This post was deliberately started to be lighthearted for some good old forum jovial banter, which I know from experience some Bass chatters are very, very good at (better than me) & can make for some entertaining reads!

In the spirit of the OP...
I picked up the bass because I couldn't manage the full six strings in the standard gee-tar. Why would I want to complicate that by adding one more... and me back couldn't handle the extra weight anyway...

[quote name='fftc' timestamp='1493222208' post='3286683']
Any more than four is for people who wish they played something else.
[/quote]

Any more than four is for people who [i]can[/i] play something else.

:lol: :P :D :lol:

[quote name='Trueno' timestamp='1493221135' post='3286664']
In the spirit of the OP...
I picked up the bass because I couldn't manage the full six strings in the standard gee-tar. Why would I want to complicate that by adding one more... and me back couldn't handle the extra weight anyway...
[/quote]

Same here, glad I did!!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1493226700' post='3286743']
Ha touché, brilliant!
[/quote]

He he! You might wanna take a screen shot of that as the chances of anything else witty coming from me for the rest of the year is unlikely!

[quote name='fftc' timestamp='1493222208' post='3286683']
Any more than four is for people who wish they played something else.
[/quote][quote name='dood' timestamp='1493224316' post='3286717']
Any more than four is for people who [i]can[/i] play something else.

:lol: :P :D :lol:
[/quote]

Absolutely destroyed, fair play :D

A wise white haired, and somewhat bearded raggedy old man I met in a monastery in Tibet once said:

A bass with strings four: leave bar and close the door
A bass with strings five: make music come true alive

That could be complete nonsense and perhaps I have never been to Tibet but I play fives

[quote name='Bobthedog' timestamp='1493229689' post='3286782']
A wise white haired, and somewhat bearded raggedy old man I met in a monastery in Tibet once said:

A bass with strings four: leave bar and close the door
A bass with strings five: make music come true alive

That could be complete nonsense and perhaps I have never been to Tibet but I play fives
[/quote]

Another wise man said, "Drums stop, very bad, Drums stop, very bad...."

[quote name='mark76' timestamp='1493234092' post='3286834']
Four4lyfe!

Seriously though, does anyone know the fundamental frequencies of the lowest notes on a 5 and 8 string bass? The F# on the latter must be pushing close to subsonic.
[/quote]
I believe the fundamental of the low B is 30Hz?

[quote name='mark76' timestamp='1493234092' post='3286834']
Four4lyfe!

Seriously though, does anyone know the fundamental frequencies of the lowest notes on a 5 and 8 string bass? The F# on the latter must be pushing close to subsonic.
[/quote]

[image][url="http://blog.benztown.com/imaging/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/bass-drum-key.jpg"]http://blog.benztown...ss-drum-key.jpg[/url][/image]

{edit} image now viewable.

Edited by dood

If you want to stick to just playing 'bass' then you almost have a point, but playing mainly 7 and 8 string bass suits me perfectly as I play in a 3 piece so I can tackle lead if need be and provide a higher register if our guitarist whips out his B (he plays a 7 string guitar). More flexibility, more options, more noise.

Basically sir, to each his own.

[quote name='Wilco' timestamp='1493219687' post='3286642']
So, as bassists we like the low notes right?
[/quote]

No.
I prefer the sound of the middle range of the instrument.
I've yet to hear a low B that I didn't think sounded sh*te.
If I want really low bass I'll play it on something that is better at doing it, like a synth.

Ah good this again...

I play a sixer. I'd get away with a five for 90% of what I do in bands but I like to dabble with chords and higher register melody type stuff too, especially when I'm just noodling at home. I don't find the extra strings a hindrance in a band situation so why not :)

I'm so used to playing a six string now, my four strings feel strange when I first pick them up.

I hardly ever play open strings ether and tend to play further up the neck on the lower strings instead. I find I cramp up less that way live keeping everything more compact. I find it sounds more consistent across the full range as well... well to my ears anyway :)

Edited by CamdenRob

I can hit my strings and make percussive sounds, it doesn't make me a drummer. I have pitches above the traditional bass range, it doesn't make me a guitarist or a pianist or a harpist etc.

You can still be a bassist and have a range bigger than 4 strings.