Why become a member? ×

Studio Jams. A Must Watch.

bubinga5

My hours of discovering new music, i stumbled across these many vids, from some great musicians. Ive spotted Jimmy Haslip, Victor Wooten, Oteil Burbridge, Jeff Berlin, Nathan East and many more.

There are so many vids. The last i counted was number 53 with Gerald Veasley, but they go on and on. Victor Wooten is number 1 if of any interest.

The musicians involved usually have a chat/warmup/rehearsal. Then they have a jam in the studio.

Its a fantastic breadth of vids from some of the best musicians in the world in a studio setting. I will say from what ive watched the musicians tend to lean toward the jazz funk and soul, side of music, but of course i haven't watched them all.

I always say listening is learning. Take your pick.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6PFPcypla0[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

There is one with a few words from Leland Sklar at the beginning .
If I recall correctly it is in a minor key but he takes his solo to the relative major and finishes his solo with a neat obvious change back that the band compliment him on making it easy to know when his turn was finishing .
A classy demo of experience showing how simplest is best . B)
( It could have a different episode though .)

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1493388210' post='3288003']
All very talented, but I struggled to hear anything that didn't sound like I was in a lift.
[/quote]I always struggle to find a lift that has Jimmy Haslip or Victor Wooten playing in it.

Edited by bubinga5

Some really amazing stuff on that channel, i think they used to have a site where you could pay to watch extended sessions, or something like that. It's very inspiring in places, and to be fair it does have some pretty boring elevator music moments too. But overall the level of musicianship is pretty astonishing, even with the less exciting tracks.

It's a good channel. I found it when I was looking for Jeff Berlin videos. There is a good Studio Jams clip of him playing Bill Bruford's 5G with some other guys. It's a great clip.

I like the fact the channel leans towards jazz and fusion as it makes for an interesting listen. The fact you often see the players talking about the arrangement and how they're going to approach a song also provides interesting context.