Why become a member? ×

Bass Bridge with Mutes

acidbass

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1493305277' post='3287336']
Behold the power of google [url="http://www.bassmute.com/bassmute/bm_mainframe.html"]http://www.bassmute...._mainframe.html[/url]
[/quote]

I vaguely remember seeing that Bass Direct had started stocking this. Quite interested in getting one for the SurfJag.

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1493296649' post='3287233']
Hi All

Does anybody know if there is a company out there who make an aftermarket bridge with mutes (a la the Stingray Classic bridge)

Preferably Fender style/dimensions

Cheers!
D
[/quote]

The Fender Mustang had a bridge with mute to a similar design to the Stingray - presumably how come they included them. So you might find a Mustang bridge or maybe someone makes them. You won't get a Stingray one without buying a bass - they had them up to around 95 as well as on the Classic model now.

These specific designs allow the intensity of muting and even muting individual strings to happen, unlike the JJ method. You've got to remember JJ was originally perfecting his playing before satellites, space rockets, computers, PCBs, the Beatles etc etc - almost Neolithic times in relative terms!!!

That's not to say the piece of foam rubber method is not effective - just that the systems spoken about by the OP are far more precise and offer broader benefits.

It's pretty amazing really that no one has manufactured a quality aftermarket bridge with built-in adjustable mutes. My favourite is probably the Musicman which you cannot buy separately. The Ric bridge is 'ok' when set up but may require niggly preparation work due to only having adjustments per side and the foam strip getting caught on the housing. I'm not sure if the material Ric uses is the best mute material either.

One thing though - the mute is a secret weapon to great bass tone. I'm sure someone could design a great muting bridge if they put their mind to it. Musicman did.

I put a Fender Jag mute on my PB50 ala the Sean Hurley sig.

Works well but I need to replace teh foam with a soft variety as the jag foam is too hard for bass really.

You have to drill a half inch hole 35mm in depth into your bass though, which is why its on a harley benton and not a fender!

[attachment=244378:20160717_144337low.jpg]

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1494172650' post='3293769']
Thanks to all for your responses. I guess the answer to my question is no then :( I don't want to have to drill additional holes in my bass really to add a mute kit.
[/quote]
Genuinely, pros use a piece of foam sponge!

Here y'go - this is the answer to all your problems!

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mute-Aid-Bass-Guitar-Mute-Turn-your-Electric-Bass-into-a-Double-Bass-5-Pack/222499529246"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mute-Aid-Bass-Guitar-Mute-Turn-your-Electric-Bass-into-a-Double-Bass-5-Pack/222499529246[/url]

(Available in blue, white, green, pink and yellow!)

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1494747501' post='3298199']
I just wedge a dish washing sponge under the strings of my p bass near the bridge. With flatwounds it gets the tone right and you can choose from a variety of colours and use it to clean your bass too.
[/quote]
(You should look at my ebay link!)