Why become a member? ×

What were they thinking

fleabag

Just got one of my amps back from my local tech wizz kid, and he was so shocked at what he found inside
he took a photo and printed it off for me

It had obviously been to the local butcher, who managed to make the insides look worse than a chimp doing
brain surgery with a pipe wrench

He fixed all problems, but 8 hours of work @ £20 p.h. and 4 expensive switches (£10 each ) the bill was a bit sickening.

Still - its working like a demon now

Heyho, thats life

PS and that wasn't all. Apparently, many tracks on one of the circuit boards had been cut or bypassed and made a difficult job even more so

Its surprising that it actually worked at all before taking it to the tech

(grin) My ultimate classic was an old Watkins Dominator I bought. "new" style square black cabinet but with the electronics from the previous model, the triangular fronted one.

It had been similarly butchered at some stage but in this case it was because whichever monkey built it originally had mounted the components on the WRONG SIDE of the paxolin board!!! Took a better set of eyes than mine to realise this was what had happened - I gave up after (unsurprisingly) not being able to find a circuit diagram and board layout that matched it!

Pete Towers and The Amp Doctor to the rescue!

When I bought my Warwick Fortress One (secondhand) the pan pot was acting weird and giving a big volume drop when it was in the middle position. I could tell by looking it had been, errrr, 'worked on' previously at some point. I took it to the local guitar shop tech and it turned out that someone had removed the circuit board from the back of the pan pot and refitted it upside down. I would never have worked that out in a million years, but then again I'm no tech.

I fully admit some electronics baffle the knickers off me.

I can wire up a simple jazz bass, where its vol vol tone, but after that, its over to the techs

The joy of slapping in an East U-Retro deluxe, like wot i did in a previous bass ( now removed and fitted in my ESP fretless) is that you merely have to connect pup wires to screw terminals, and attach bridge earth. Thats my level

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1493584754' post='3289286']
I fully admit some electronics baffle the knickers off me.

I can wire up a simple jazz bass, where its vol vol tone, but after that, its over to the techs

The joy of slapping in an East U-Retro deluxe, like wot i did in a previous bass ( now removed and fitted in my ESP fretless) is that you merely have to connect pup wires to screw terminals, and attach bridge earth. Thats my level
[/quote]Yep, that's about my level as well. I'm always proud of myself if I can wire a Strat from scratch (with the help of a clear diagram ha ha).