Why become a member? ×

NBD Yamaha BB5000

Paul S

After a 3 week transit from Japan my Yamaha BB5000 arrived safe and sound. I wanted one because, a few months back, I bought a new BB425 and was completely blown away by how good it was for the price point. Which, naturally, got me thinking about what the more expensive end of the range would be like. A bit of reading convinced me that the model I was looking for was the BB5000. Top end of the range when it was made, fairly lightweight, very slim neck, through neck construction, passive P/J pickups and electronics. Not too common, though, so I prepared myself for a long wait.

I kept my eyes peeled and also got in touch with Danny 'The Bass Hunter' in Japan, who turned up trumps and managed to buy this on my behalf then send it on, luckily for me without too many weeks passing as my GAS was very strong.

Serial number dates it to between 1986-89 as in this case it doesn't seem possible to date it more accurately. Black, no pickguard, ebony fretboard, painted neck and headstock. Gold hardware (pickup surrounds are oddly quite badly tarnished, especially compared to the bridge and tuners, which are not. Not that it bothers me), mother of pearl inlays on the neck, bone nut, At 4.3kg it is not too heavy. The cutaways are a little deeper than in my BB425 and it sits very nicely on the strap. The shaping of the area where the neck meets the body is a joy. Neck is super slim for a 5er - 43mm at the nut but slim for its whole length without the widening flare that you often get when the bridge spacing is wider - the string spacing is a very tight 15mm at the bridge - which I really like.

I haven't had the chance to play it loud yet but at home levels it sounds amazing. Split coil P humbucker sounds immense with real character - rich and organic but capable of a massive growl with the tone open, a real bite that gives it an edge beyond anything my Precision basses can do. Amazing sound. Bridge pup solo'd is tight and nasal - not my thing - but middle position sounds incredible - burpy and rich, everything you would want from a P/J. Sustains forever.

My expectations were high but it has exceeded them. The neck, in particular, is just incredible - everything I would want from a 5 string neck. I can hardly wait to use it in anger :)

[attachment=244173:bb50001.jpg] [attachment=244174:bb50003.jpg] [attachment=244175:bb50004.jpg] [attachment=244176:bb50005.jpg] [attachment=244177:bb50002.jpg]

Yamaha were the first company to bring out a production five string and the Japan BB models are amongst a favourite of mine. One day I'd love to own a BB3000, but this is certainly getting the juices flowing! Congratulations indeed!

[quote name='BassApprentice' timestamp='1493305805' post='3287343']
What a beauty! Your search led to me to have a nosey at the Yamaha's available on the Japanese market.....Dangerous.

Found a BBVIIx which has a double split P.....must resist, must resist, must resist!
[/quote]

I think I may have seen the very same bass you speak of. Very tasty.

I now want a BB5000 in this exact colour, maybe fit a white pickguard on it so it can be the evil twin sibling to my BB1025x.

I definitely feel like that cat that got the cream :) They are out there but not that common. Looking at recent selling prices they seem to command a higher price in Japan, strangely, but I was prepared to pay a premium for what could well end up as my ideal bass. Nevertheless it was still under £1350 all in which, considering the quality, really is small beans. Still grinning :) Going to put some new strings on it this morning.

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1493380226' post='3287919']
Gotta love black and gold. Very nice Paul. Hope to see it in person soon
[/quote]

Yes, Warren - very JPS. I was considering putting those Optima gold plated strings on it but then thought that might be a touch ostentatious... Actually in truth I would have sucked up the disdain but a read a review that reckoned the B wasn't much cop... :) I haven't forgotten your track list, btw. It isn't straightforward!

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1493391768' post='3288044']
Wow, that does indeed look a stunner Paul :o
Bet it sounds great too.....

But is it your "ideal" bass? You seem to flit from one to another lol ;)
BTW. It looks even funkier on that zebra striped rug - funkay!
[/quote]

I do seem rather fickle, don't I. Perhaps better to say 'one of' my ideal basses and probably my ideal black 5 string Yamaha.

• 2 years later...