Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Knobs - position preference

RickyV

Ok. This isnt about whether you prefer your pick-up volumes at 100% and your tone at 50%. I am interested in where you like the white position indicator to be when it is in the full-on position.
I have just acquired a jazz bitsa and the white indicator marks are pointing up when the bass is in horizontal playing position (as per pic) but on my other jazzes I have always had them pointing down the length of the bell-plate directly towards the jack socket when full-on. So, how do others like to position theirs and also, how are they positioned when they leave the Fender factory? Does that vary too? Just curious......

I try to get all the tuning pegs, on my Jazz Bass pointing in the same direction when my bass is in tune. I haven't managed it yet but I'll keep on trying :)

Edit; they have to be parallel to the headstock or it doesn't count.

Edit #2; Preferably pointing North

Edited by gjones

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1493331120' post='3287617']
Parallel to the neck and strings. On the Fender website most of the American models have them pointing this way too.
[/quote]

That`s always been the way I`ve set them every time I`ve had a Jazz.

Neck pick up full on...bridge pick up just on were you can hear it about 3 or 4.....tone on full.....as i like a warm wooley Bass tone and obviously were you play i would anchor thumb over neck pick up just my preference.....then again i like the Jaco sound over bridge pick up but don't find playing as comfortable
Nowadays i play a Fender Precision so easier for my type of sound.

[quote name='thebigyin' timestamp='1493356917' post='3287671']
Neck pick up full on...bridge pick up just on were you can hear it about 3 or 4.....tone on full.....as i like a warm wooley Bass tone and obviously were you play i would anchor thumb over neck pick up just my preference.....then again i like the Jaco sound over bridge pick up but don't find playing as comfortable
Nowadays i play a Fender Precision so easier for my type of sound.
[/quote]

lol you didn't even read the OP past the first word ,to quote [b]"Ok. This isnt about whether you prefer your pick-up volumes at 100% and your tone at 50%. I am interested in where you like the white position indicator to be when it is in the full-on position."[/b]

for the record I like em pointing up too

Edited by bazztard

[quote name='RickyV' timestamp='1493317303' post='3287477']

[/quote]

Looking at the bass from this position, I like mine to be pointing at about the 4 o'clock position when full on. Or south-east if you prefer compass notation :lol:

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1493357590' post='3287674']

for the record I like em pointing up too
[/quote]

See, that just does my head in!!! My brain tells me the lines must follow the length not the width...

[quote name='Muppet' timestamp='1493362669' post='3287701']
See, that just does my head in!!! My brain tells me the lines must follow the length not the width...
[/quote]

I'm sort of with you there. Thats why I had always lined them up down the length of the bell-plate with the jack socket as the reference point. I picked this bass up the other night and straight away I have no idea whats going on!! Messes with your head!! Pretty sure I will be taking them off and re-positioning them...