Why become a member? ×

Well pleased-Vintage Zip

Deep Thought

My first post over here in six-string territory. I've owned guitars for many years, just for fun really, but never really considered myself a guitarist. Last year I started having singing lessons, and my teacher encouraged me to get involved in a charity do she was having. I wasn't prepared to sing to a backing track, so I had to get my guitar-playing act together! Borrowed an electro acoustic, and got up in front of an audience and played guitar and sang (Hurt-Johnny Cash). I seemed to get away with it, and my teacher reckons if I can get a set together she can get me gigs. So as the band aren't doing much lately I've been spending most of my time playing guitar.
I decided I didn't want to do the acoustic thing, so I've spent months eyeing up various electric guitars-the budget is very restricted so nothing too pricey-I nearly bought a Harley Benton HB-35, but then decided I wanted a telecaster. Unless I was lucky a Squier Affinity looked the most likely. On Tuesday I walked into a second hand joint-a particularly scuzzy one, the sort which caters to people flogging stuff to fund their drug habit. On the wall was a Vintage Zip-Les Paul Jr. shape, Wilkinson hardware, all black-filthy dirty, with a loose pot, but straight neck and generally in OK nick, played really nicely-sixty quid. When I asked the stoner twerp behind the counter if there was anything I could plug it into, he looked at me with complete apathy and said 'Not really mate'. I said 'OK', turned on my heel and left.
I had a think about it, and decided that pots and pickups could be replaced, and if it was generally sound it might be worth a punt. I went back next day and bought it. Now I've given it a damn good clean, new strings, tightened up the loose pot, squirt of contact cleaner, and it's a different guitar. Little bit of mojo, but on the whole I'm delighted with it. Now I need to get a decent amp and start figuring out which effects I need!

Edited by Deep Thought

• 1 month later...