Why become a member? ×

I have not bought wisely

heavaway

Hello. I have painted myself into a corner and would welcome suggestions. [size=4][font=Calibri][color=#000000]I have been careful about money and managed to assemble the following kit: [/color][color=#000000]HH PA Amplifier, [/color] [color=#000000]Ashdown 4 x 10 bass cab, Ashdown 2 x 10 bass cab.[/color] [color=#000000]All good so far.[/color] [color=#000000]The 2 x 10 cab is 4 ohms.[/color] [color=#000000]The 4 x 10 cab is 8 ohms.[/color] [color=#000000]The HH says it cant go lower than 4 ohms.[/color] [color=#000000]Now, looking this up on the internet, I have frightened myself.[/color] [color=#000000]I am unsure if I can simply plug the two speakers into the two sockets on the back of the Amp, or if I’m now in some kind of Ohm hell.[/color] [color=#000000]Some sage words would be very welcome.[/color][/font][/size] I am assuming my only way out is to find another budget amp, split the signal from my bass and feed it into what will effectively be two rigs - one of the speakers powered by one of the amps and he other speaker powered by the other amp - does that sound right?

Edited by heavaway

Yup - the overall ohmage of your two cabs is 2.7 Ohms.. Weird that the 410 is 8 ohms and the 210 4 ohms, but you have what you have...

Your amp might be stable into 2.7 Ohms (all of these things are an approximation) but if you push it, it may well go pop..

Is the amp an MA100?

Edited by markstuk

Hello!

Yes, you will indeed run into an impedance problem with that set up. Unfortunately the minimum impedance that they amp can take is 4R as you've said, so that means that [b]either[/b] your 2x10 or 4x10 would be just fine. Unfortunately, running them [b]both together[/b] will result in a load of 2R67 for the head, which is very bad news.

Some points to think about:

Are you sure that you have the cabinets impedance right? I can't think of an Ashdown 2x10" that's 4R.....

Can you provide model numbers of the amp and both cabs for us please?

Will one of the cabs (probably the 4x10") be loud enough on it's own? Do you really need a 6x10"?

If it's really looking bleak then there are plenty of other amps and cabs out there, no need to run two amps if you don't want to.

Edited by Jack

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1493389273' post='3288015']
Weird that the 410 is 8 ohms and the 210 4 ohms, but you have what you have...
[/quote]

That would be right.
4x10 is 4x8-ohms are in series/parallel.
2x10 is 2 x 8-ohms in parallel.

[quote name='obbm' timestamp='1493389592' post='3288020']
That would be right.
4x10 is 4x8-ohms are in series/parallel.
2x10 is 2 x 8-ohms in parallel.
[/quote]

Not always though, plenty of 4R drivers about to allow for either 4 or 8 in 2x10" or 4x10".

Just another reason to bemoan 4 ohm cabinets. Why do manufacturers persist?

If your 4-ohm 2x10 uses two 8 ohm drivers in parallel (which it almost certainly will), you could rewire it with the drivers in series to become a 16 ohm cab. Then both cabs together would be a 5.3 ohm load with the 2x10 using half as much of the amp's power as the 4x10, which seems ideal. You would want to disconnect any crossover and tweeter components in the 2x10" if you went this route.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1493391738' post='3288043']
If your 4-ohm 2x10 uses two 8 ohm drivers in parallel (which it almost certainly will), you could rewire it with the drivers in series to become a 16 ohm cab. Then both cabs together would be a 5.3 ohm load with the 2x10 using half as much of the amp's power as the 4x10, which seems ideal. You would want to disconnect any crossover and tweeter components in the 2x10" if you went this route.
[/quote]

This would be mychoice of thing to do if you are insistent in using both cabs.

All the advice is right so far and I wouldn't doubt Ashdown, nice to see you on here guys :) Always helpful people I find.

It's possible that someone has replaced the drivers at some stage I guess, 8ohm drivers are the most commonly available which will give you a 4ohm cab. you need to check before you proceed. If you have access to a meter than any resistance above about 5ohms would indicate an 8ohm cab. The impedance is always a little higher than the DC resistance. Alternatively you might be able to take the speakers out and they may have the impedance marked on the back of the magnet. If they are 8's and you always want to use the two cabs together the series route is the one to go for. I'd imagine though that your 4x10 is going to be loud enough for most things.