Why become a member? ×

Overdrive with flats

bonzodog

Ive never been much of an effects person preferring to just use my bass and amp. However in my covers band I want to add a bit of overdrive to some of the who songs we do. However as i switched to flats a while back preferring the feel and sound I wondered if there was much of a difference between flats and rounds when using a bit of dirt.
Any advice welcome. I could put rounds on one of my basses but would prefer not to. I have a squier VM bass and a MIM jazz.

Whenever I record bass i add a bit of an overdrive.Just enough to cut through the mix.The overdrive is not noticeable in mix only when the bass is played hard on its own. It acts mire like a booster.

To answer your question. Flats sounds awesome with overdrive.

[quote name='SH73' timestamp='1493408767' post='3288211']
Whenever I record bass i add a bit of an overdrive.Just enough to cut through the mix.The overdrive is not noticeable in mix only when the bass is played hard on its own. It acts mire like a booster.

To answer your question. Flats sounds awesome with overdrive.
[/quote]
I sometimes do the same, gives a little more sustain and brightness if the track needs it. I use the Darkglass vintage tubes for the drive.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1493447646' post='3288325']

I sometimes do the same, gives a little more sustain and brightness if the track needs it. I use the Darkglass vintage tubes for the drive.
[/quote]

Makes a massive difference. I use a combination of amp drive with vintage setting and overdrive on my di pedal.