Why become a member? ×

NBW(week) Bach Tele 5er and Squier Jaguar 5

yorks5stringer

A few weeks ago I succumbed to GAS and decided I'd like a Paisley P (Tele) bass but as a 5 string. I'm in an Americana Band and wanted something a bit more 'Country'.

Looking around there is no such thing in a 5, so I found the Bach Tele style Bass in a 5 string and ordered it early April. £250 inc postage. I sourced lookalike Paisley paper to cover the Bass and someone to airbrush the pink burst edges.
I looked at swapping out pick-ups and tuners, Fender decal (!) and spent quite a few hours looking at other options too.

The Bass finally arrived last Friday after its tracking still showed it in Czech Republic.....what a disappointment. The bridge was scratched and dinted in 3 places where they had strung it, the rear of one of the Tuners was also scratched and the neck felt odd, I could not quite put my finger on it. It looked smooth but then I realised in certain light you could see the grain in one place had risen and not been sanded down smoothly and then had been clear coated over. The earth wire from the bridge had become detached in the control cavity where they attached it to the graphite coated sides, so it buzzed like a fly in a Butcher's shop window.

I got back to Bach, they were apologetic but no easy offer of replacement or discount so it has been returned to them with a list of Q.C. faults I could easily spot. I'll lose the carriage costs both way but better to get rid now. Incidentally reading their T&C, they transfer the carriage responsibility to the Buyer, once the Bass leaves their premises. Something to bear in mind for anyone buying from them......along with the dodgy QC!

So feeling a bit bruised (1st World problem I know) I was browsing G4Music site and happened across a Squier Jaguar 5 in red, reduced down to £220.
It arrived late Thursday and as soon as I saw the box I realised it was a return as it looked a bit tired and there were places where labels had been removed.
With some trepidation I opened the box, the flap with staples had been taped shut, and I inspected it.
Overall decent but with some finger marks and disappointingly buckle rash across the battery compartment in the middle of the back and surrounding area. This was not a ''New bass'.
However played very well and even on rounds, sounded better than my Squier P Bass, so much so am not going to swap out the strings to flats
Rang G4M yesterday, they offered to replace it but these have been discontinued in the UK and US as a 5 string, so they gave me a further £50 off!

So great Customer Service from G4Music ( although they insisted it was new and had come direct from Fender Ireland...!)

As the new Jaguar is Red, if I get bored with it a new White pick guard or even a Paisley conversion could be on the cards....!
[attachment=244300:P1040513.JPG]
[attachment=244301:P1040517.JPG]

Edited by yorks5stringer

Just over 4kg, around 9 pounds so not a lightweight but less wood than a P or J and a couple more holes too!

So I contacted Bach as soon as it was delivered re issues, they asked for photos which I sent and basically they said 'sorry' but no offer to replace it, discount it or fix it!

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1493811028' post='3290810']
Nice score Y5S. Ive just picked up a 4 string version of this. Very nice basses for the price, still working out the electronics though.
[/quote]

Yes, the first 2 knobs are P and J pickups, then the active boost and small knob is tone. Tweaking the last 2 is a bit of a dark art...!

Update: The Bach has been refunded, they agreed a scratched and dinted bridge was not good but all the other issues were negligible.

The Squier has gone back to G4M due to a weird rattle/resonance in the headstock that I cannot locate or cure. Suspect it could be a truss rod issue although it works OK. Annoying if their tech cannot sort it as i really like the Bass.

I guess the next thing that gets readjusted down on a "cheaper" instrument, after the components and labour, is the QC the company expects of themselves and their suppliers.

Yorks5stringer, you talk about 1st world problems but these companies are in 1st world competition and they have to perform, no matter what price point they are aiming for.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1494404711' post='3295601']
I guess the next thing that gets readjusted down on a "cheaper" instrument, after the components and labour, is the QC the company expects of themselves and their suppliers.

Yorks5stringer, you talk about 1st world problems but these companies are in 1st world competition and they have to perform, no matter what price point they are aiming for.
[/quote]

Could'nt agree more, if Thomann can do a HB Tele Bass for £100, unfortunately just a 4 string. Bach did not offer me a replacement or even money off when I first alerted them to all the issues.

Here's what Bach said verbatim:[color=#1F497D][font=Calibri, sans-serif, serif, EmojiFont][size=2]I have scaned the bass and Your tags.[/size][/font][/color]
[size=2]We think , any instrument should not be sent with such scratched bridge.[/size]
[size=2]I am so sorry . Those other "defects" do not have any impact on the sound[/size]
[size=2]or playability. Probably , it happened by strings when the instrument was assebled.[/size]
[size=2]There are instruments for € 300,- and € 3.000,- , no one can want the same quality.[/size]
[size=2]But I do not say this because the pit are a common thing. It should not happen too.[/size]
[size=2]Well , I am sorry You could not play our instrument.[/size]
[size=2]Take my apology pls.[/size]

Edited by yorks5stringer