Why become a member? ×

Drill bit for neck screws

I have a new neck to drill for a parts build. I've read before that 1/8" is the correct size bit for the neck screws that come with the Fender neck plates, which is roughly 3mm. I think I've also seen 3/32" stated, which is just under 2.5mm. I've measured the screws with vernier callipers - 3mm diameter shank and 4.2mm diameter including the thread.

If this was just a bit of softwood then I'd probably use a 2.5mm drill - which I happen to have. I understand that Maple is quite a lot harder, though. Should I wait until I can get hold of a 3mm bit?

I'm not a seasoned woodworker as you might have guessed...

I'd drill to the size of the shank, or just a tad over. A narrow hole will cause some wood displacement. Ignoring the threads, you are trying to put a 3mm metal rod into wood - something will have to give if the hole isn't large enough. You are then less likely to damage the wood that the thread bites into, which is where the compression strength comes from. :)