Why become a member? ×

Dingwall GAS

epic576

Wandered into a guitar shop enquiring for used 5 strings.

They only had one, but by Christ was it one.

Been meaning to try a Dingwall for ages to see what all the hype was about but where I reside there's no dealers within an acceptable travel distance.

The fanned frets took extremely little time to get used to, the occasional peek at the board but otherwise I was good

Was informed it was an early Afterburner model that used to belong to the owner's late husband, who went the whole hog with the upgraded preamp and wood selection.

I've never wanted a bass more in my life, however as a poor student, £2250 is just outside my price range if I want to live.

Hypothetically if that sort of cash comes my way, how comparable are the Combustion models?

Obligatory photo attached..

Without the exact specs it is hard to say but I think [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]£2250 is a bit high of a price.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Granted, new Dingwalls command high prices and there is a long waiting time but with some patience you can score one for less I believe.[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I had a ABZ5, but no experience with the Combustion models. [/font][/color]

I too remember my first time picking up a Dingwall.. Mine was an ABZ 4 which I walked out with, soon followed by a Combustion 5. The ABZs are the sort of basses you will take with you to your grave, but 2250 seems steep nonetheless. The Combustions are ludicrous value for money, incredible B string, perfect neck, punchy preamp but more importantly beautifully made, regardless of source construction the quality control is magnificent. Happy to be corrected by anyone but I don't think there will be many. If you can stretch to a second hand Combustion V you will be very very happy.

That is a lovely Dingwall and I know the shop you are on about. I think the price will somewhat reflect the sentimental value of it to the family, and their price will without doubt be higher than what you could expect to sell it for on here, much like any other retailer.

They are like catnip until you finally arrive and realise how expensive they are and its then very sobering.

Beautiful to own and play, and I have owned three but none were combustions so I can't comment on them.

As for the ABZ and ABII basses I owned - flawless construction and sound. I'm a bass hopper and always wanting to keep trying different stuff, but if I had to pick one - the ABII I owned would be under consideration.