Help!

6 replies to this topic

#1 JPJ

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 09:50 PM

Would anyone in the wonderful world of Basschat have a wilkinson style no36 tuner in black available to buy? I'll happily take a set, I've just sheared one off on the KK Baby Bass due to my own stupidity :angry: I'll also take a chrome set as I can probably bastardise a working tuner from the parts.

Posted Image

Edited by JPJ, 29 April 2017 - 09:50 PM.

JPJ

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Basses by Overwater, Ibanez & JPJ
Amps by SWR & Aguilar
Cabinets by SWR
Preamps by PJB & Radial
Cables by OBBM
Beverages by Nescafe & Guinness
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 petebassist

No longer a newbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:"We are ugly but we have the music", Leonard Cohen

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:44 PM

Maybe Kris Kedzior at KK could help you out & mail you some.
---
Stentor 1950 acoustic double bass.
KK Bass Max pickup.

#3 JPJ

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 08 May 2017 - 11:27 AM

All sorted!

Bought a set of four from CH Guitars in sunny South Shields for £22. Butchered one for the part I needed and I now have a fully working EUB again :sun_bespectacled:
JPJ

Amps by SWR & Aguilar
Cabinets by SWR
Preamps by PJB & Radial
Cables by OBBM

#4 JPJ

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:11 PM

So the latest instalment to my KK Baby Bass tale of woe. I opened the gig bag the other week to be greeted by the bridge falling out on to the floor. "Odd" I thought "I'm sure thats not supposed to happen". Quick investigation showed that the tailpiece had split behind the bolt that secures it. Now its possible this is damage that occurred on the delivery journey, or its possibly been done in the man cave at home as this does appear to be a quite vulnerable area when only protected by the gig bag. I attempted a glue repair which was initially successful, but that lasted precisely one week before it sheared again along the glue line :o

Posted Image

Posted Image

So I did a bit of online shopping and thanks to the guys at The String Zone, I received a new Thomastik Infeld cast aluminium tailpiece with fine tuners in the post this morning. This is designed for a conventional double bass, so I needed to modify it by lopping the end off with a hacksaw and drilling a hole for the bolt which holds it to the bass, but now fitted, I feel that this is a big improvement to the solidity of this vulnerable area.

Posted Image
Posted Image

I'm hoping that this is the end of my travails with this bass and I can just get on with learning to play her properly B)

Edited by JPJ, 19 May 2017 - 01:13 PM.

JPJ

Amps by SWR & Aguilar
Cabinets by SWR
Preamps by PJB & Radial
Cables by OBBM

#5 stingrayPete1977

Flouncer.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,955 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 05:03 PM

That looks ace!
IMO

DB,EUB,EB,AMPS.

#6 v8bass

Fully fledged member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:Life in the air age

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:05 PM

Good grief you've had some woes with that KK !

Love the mods to date ( Inc necessary repairs)

The ally tailpiece looks great and my fingers are crossed that nothing else happens

As a new KK owner I'm checking back regularly for hints and tips here

* Just as a point of interest, have you modded the original pickup using the " washer " mod ? "

Think we might need a KK sub forum :-P

Your approach is totally Zen too

Gary

#7 JPJ

Very Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 20 May 2017 - 12:30 AM

v8bass, on 19 May 2017 - 10:05 PM, said:

Good grief you've had some woes with that KK !

Love the mods to date ( Inc necessary repairs)

The ally tailpiece looks great and my fingers are crossed that nothing else happens

As a new KK owner I'm checking back regularly for hints and tips here

* Just as a point of interest, have you modded the original pickup using the " washer " mod ? "

Think we might need a KK sub forum :-P

Your approach is totally Zen too

Gary

Thanks for the kind words Gary, it's certainly been a journey! But the whole thing has been worthwhile when you play her, especially live like tonight.

Mine came with the washer mod already done, so I can't really compare to a non-modded version.

Welcome to the KK club (we may need to think of a more politically correct club name 😂) I'm sure you are going to enjoy it.
JPJ

Amps by SWR & Aguilar
Cabinets by SWR
Preamps by PJB & Radial
Cables by OBBM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users