Why become a member? ×

-

Jus Lukin

[quote name='stu_g' timestamp='1493550410' post='3289024']
I get the impression sometimes they dont even have the parcel they just stealthily leave a card without knocking.
[/quote]

It's to keep their postbag light.

Fill em all out at the depot before they set off. Leave the heavies there and just dish out the red cards.

I suspect in a few years time this will be the norm.

[quote name='stu_g' timestamp='1493550410' post='3289024']
I get the impression sometimes they dont even have the parcel they just stealthily leave a card without knocking.
[/quote]

Yes indeed. I once opened the door to the postie as he was about to leave a card. "That's OK", said I. "I'll take the parcel". He explained I'd have to go to the local depot for it. So you're right.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1493551895' post='3289040']

Yes indeed. I once opened the door to the postie as he was about to leave a card. "That's OK", said I. "I'll take the parcel". He explained I'd have to go to the local depot for it. So you're right.
[/quote]

Wow, what a p1$$take!

I see these sort of posts from time-to-time and, as a postie myself, thought I would respond and, hopefully, put a few misconceptions to rest.

Perhaps the biggest of these misconceptions is that sometimes the postie will not try too hard to deliver a parcel as it is “too much work/can’t be bothered/doesn’t have time/is a twat”.

Let me run this past you.

Actually delivering an item involves:-
[indent=1] [/indent]
[indent=1] Knocking on door or ringing bell[/indent]
[indent=1] Waiting for householder to answer[/indent]
[indent=1] Scanning item and getting signature if required[/indent]
[indent=1] Handing item over to householder[/indent]

[indent=1]Not delivering an item involves:-[/indent]

[indent=1] Scanning item[/indent]
[indent=1] Filling out P739 card[/indent]
[indent=1] Re-scan item as “Not delivered”[/indent]
[indent=1] Carrying said item for the rest of that particular loop or taking it back to the van[/indent]
[indent=1] Applying “P739 left” sticker to item[/indent]
[indent=1] Unloading item on return to office[/indent]
[indent=1] Returning item to callers office for filing/storage[/indent]

I’ll leave you to draw your own conclusions.

This post had all the potential to turn into a mega-rant but hey, Guinness calls. :)

I`ve had instances when I`ve heard the cards come through my letter box, and then swiftly opened the door and yelled at the retreating postmen that I`ve now got back home, and can they please give me the item. They usually have the decency to try and look embarrassed when this happens. Must be part of the training.

[quote name='beely' timestamp='1493579776' post='3289238']
I see these sort of posts from time-to-time and, as a postie myself, thought I would respond and, hopefully, put a few misconceptions to rest.

Perhaps the biggest of these misconceptions is that sometimes the postie will not try too hard to deliver a parcel as it is “too much work/can’t be bothered/doesn’t have time/is a twat”.

Let me run this past you.

Actually delivering an item involves:-

[indent=1]Knocking on door or ringing bell[/indent]
[indent=1]Waiting for householder to answer[/indent]
[indent=1]Scanning item and getting signature if required[/indent]
[indent=1]Handing item over to householder[/indent]

[indent=1]Not delivering an item involves:-[/indent]

[indent=1]Scanning item[/indent]
[indent=1]Filling out P739 card[/indent]
[indent=1]Re-scan item as “Not delivered”[/indent]
[indent=1]Carrying said item for the rest of that particular loop or taking it back to the van[/indent]
[indent=1]Applying “P739 left” sticker to item[/indent]
[indent=1]Unloading item on return to office[/indent]
[indent=1]Returning item to callers office for filing/storage[/indent]

I’ll leave you to draw your own conclusions.

This post had all the potential to turn into a mega-rant but hey, Guinness calls. :)
[/quote]

The one thing missing is sometimes they dont ring. I've been home waiting for deliveries , ( yes plural cos it's happened more than once ) and wondered where they got to, only to think the postie never turned up

Next day, check letterbox ( i live in a block so make a once a day visit to the ground floor ) and find they simply stuck a card and in and hot footed it

Edited by fleabag

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1493554846' post='3289070']
Quite. The box ticked on the card says 'Royal Mail Special Delivery Guaranteed', too. The postage seemed a bit steep, but I didn't seem to have the option of cheaper postage. So I paid for a service I didn't get. And had the work on the bass pushed back by the best part of a week.
[/quote]
You should make a complaint and demand a refund for the postage costs as they failed to deliver.

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1493554846' post='3289070']
Quite. The box ticked on the card says 'Royal Mail Special Delivery Guaranteed', too. The postage seemed a bit steep, but I didn't seem to have the option of cheaper postage.
[/quote]

I looked at Status for strings as i'm after some too, but according to their website, they ship strings free of charge to the UK

How come you got charged for special delivery ?

The annoying thing about Status's website, for strings anways, is that the price you see is + VAT. It doesn't say that till you add some packets to the shopping cart.

Still, i guess free postage offsets the cost in a way