Why become a member? ×

Demo mastering

Highfox

[quote name='roman_sub' timestamp='1493912856' post='3291799']
I'm happy to have a go at a track (i'm assuming it's a full band?) - drop me a PM :)
[/quote]
That's great thanks, yep it's a 4 piece, Pm on the way.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1494258130' post='3294426']
Why not put a link up and let anyone who fancies have a crack at it?
Like a Great British Master Off? :)
[/quote]
Thanks, that's a good idea. Might give that a go at some point. The music isn't that different or special so guess there wouldn't be many takers lol.
Roman has promised kindly to give it a go for me, maybe I'll share it after he's done his magic.

• 1 month later...

Hi highfox, yes go on al have a go,
i have been doing my tracks and getting better all the time
I have released tracks already
great learning process I have found what works for one band does not work for another
Or even tracks for that matter,
If you pm me and al send my email address or send me a dropbox link.

Edited by funkgod

[quote name='Mcgiver69' timestamp='1497623674' post='3319603']
Dude mastering is the easy part of the process, it shouldn't take you more than 15 mins if you have the right plugins.

Check out Graham Cochrane's video on how to master in 10 mins it's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0Jx2h-lQkA
[/quote]

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry 😅

[quote name='Mcgiver69' timestamp='1497623674' post='3319603']
Dude mastering is the easy part of the process, it shouldn't take you more than 15 mins if you have the right plugins.

Check out Graham Cochrane's video on how to master in 10 mins it's great.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0Jx2h-lQkA"]https://www.youtube....h?v=m0Jx2h-lQkA[/url]
[/quote]

Really.... I'd disagree

Having a go at mastering is easy but doing a good job is not! In a way it's a deceptively difficult job.

When paying for a pro mastering engineer, you are mainly paying for their experience and ears.

Mastering processing techniques tend to be more complicated than basic mixing - multiband compression, mid-side, dynamic eq, soft clipping and limiting etc...

Plugins can be helpful but be wary of any magic bullets. Every mix is different. IMO most difficult part of mastering is knowing when NOT to use the tools available to you!

Not meaning to put anyone off, but there's definitely more to it than using a few plugins on presets. Then again, depends on what you're after :)

It's a bit like the difference between an 'off the peg' bass and a custom-built master craftsman one. If it is in budget, there's a fair chance that the custom bass is 'better', but for very much less, and with maybe a bit of compromise in the research for the absolute, a 'standard' bass is just fine, and maybe better than one would have constructed oneself on the kitchen table with little or no carpentry experience.
For my part, and for what it's worth, I use...

[url="http://www.curioza.com"]AAMS ...[/url]

...for 'automatic' mastering, which brings a certain homogeneity to my efforts. Is there better out there..? Quite likely, but this one is free, and does a fine enough job for my cloth ears. Would a Mastering Engineer approve..? Maybe not, but my needs are too modest, anyway, to merit such treatment. Does it make all of my production sound the same..? Not at all; it just polishes my t**ds a spot, bringing them that tiny bit more closer to the 'target' sound I wanted (orchestral film, pop, acoustic folk etc...). Magic bullet..? Of course not, and I don't use or need it every time, but it does a very good job for the price I paid (donations to the authors are accepted for the V2 that I use; the current V3 is free to download, and limited to 4 minutes, so one is encouraged to register for 65€ ...).
Just sayin'; hope this helps. B)

Edited by Dad3353

You don't need spacific mastering software.

You need decent ears, room and monitors.

You need to be able to tell what is right and wrong in a mix, ie what is best fixed with a mix tweak rather than a mastering chain. That kind of critical listening is impossible for a piece of software to achieve currently, possibly ever.

You will probably make use of two or three different compressors, at least one, more likely two or even three eqs, a mid/side processor or two, at least one or two saturation tools and certainly one maybe two forms of brickwall limiter or similar.

In my experience.

Edited by 51m0n
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mastering is a tough one..

I agree that you could blitz a track in 15 minutes but the chances of it coming out to potential seems unlikely - like a mix, if you rush it, it'll show in the end product..

I usually (although not always) use a two stage process one with hardware (TC Finalizer in the 02R) and the second with software (Ozone Izotope) and I'm usuallly happy with the result - as are the clients - but it can be really easy to over or indeed under-do the processing.. Starting with a proper mix does make the whole process a far more pleasant one but even then, it's not something to be rushed or forced - it's easy to ruin something that was great before you started..

Just my opinion, of course.. :ph34r:

Sorry to the O/P, I don't reallly have time to have a pop at your track but hope the other offers here yeild a top result. B)

[quote name='VTypeV4' timestamp='1497868239' post='3320914']
Mastering is a tough one..

I agree that you could blitz a track in 15 minutes but the chances of it coming out to potential seems unlikely - like a mix, if you rush it, it'll show in the end product..

I usually (although not always) use a two stage process one with hardware (TC Finalizer in the 02R) and the second with software (Ozone Izotope) and I'm usuallly happy with the result - as are the clients - but it can be really easy to over or indeed under-do the processing.. Starting with a proper mix does make the whole process a far more pleasant one but even then, it's not something to be rushed or forced - it's easy to ruin something that was great before you started..

Just my opinion, of course.. :ph34r:

Sorry to the O/P, I don't reallly have time to have a pop at your track but hope the other offers here yeild a top result. B)
[/quote]
Thanks everyone.
Roman from here did a great job on the track with the mix I gave him. He brought some life and air to the track and has promised to help some more in the future :)
It's always nice to get a set of extra ears from outside the band that can give an extra opinion and thoughts especially when you are trying to do it all in house and on a budget.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1497960703' post='3321613']

Thanks everyone.
Roman from here did a great job on the track with the mix I gave him. He brought some life and air to the track and has promised to help some more in the future :)
It's always nice to get a set of extra ears from outside the band that can give an extra opinion and thoughts especially when you are trying to do it all in house and on a budget.
[/quote]
Can we hear the before and after somewhere?

Sure the Demo in question is here, (2nd track) [url="https://soundcloud.com/everyday-people-band/sets/edp-demo-may2017"]https://soundcloud.c...dp-demo-may2017[/url]
The pre-master here, https://soundcloud.com/everyday-people-band/weather-with-you-test-demo/s-Qq7mz
except the acoustic guitar is missing on here.

Nothing that special :)

Edited by Highfox