Why become a member? ×

How easy is it to replace a body on a short scale neck?

Yes, I realise the question is probably arse-about-tit, but I bought a very cheap brand new short scale bass to use on my holidays, and everything apart from the actual body is quite nice. It's a PMT "Eastcoast" brand short scale, in black; I believe Stagg copy/made?

Anyway, I'm happy with the neck and especially the 24 frets. The bridge looks solid, the tuners stay in tune. The pickups are okay...

How easy would it be to transplant a half-decent body onto it?

I'm looking at this (as an example - I don't mind if you all bid on it, I've got time to wait for the next one):

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Squier-by-Fender-Jaguar-Bass-Body-Pickups-electrics-/292101926354?hash=item4402a1add2:g:iwwAAOSwT-FZBily"]http://www.ebay.co.u...wwAAOSwT-FZBily[/url]

Of course, I would keep the P-J setup, and I understand I would have to locate my bridge so that the scale length is approximately the same as the Eastcoast. Is there much more to it?

Edited by missis sumner

Happy to be corrected by our more experienced members but I think you have to take two things into consideration:
[list]
[*]the nut to 12th fret distance is the same as 12th fret to bridge saddles
[*]the neck fits the neck pocket. Check the width/length of the neck joint before ordering anything.
[/list]
Alternatively check the builds thread for somebody to custom build you a body - you may be surprised how reasonable prices would be.

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1493841432' post='3291239']
IIRC the Jaguar is short scale anyway, but not 24 fret, so you might ideally need to learn how to use a router or get someone to do the neck pocket. All part of the rich learning process of life.
[/quote]

Or I could just use my dremel. :D :yarr:

Yeah, neck pocket - I had thought of screw positioning, but not really followed the thought process through.

@TheGreek - the builds thread is a good shout. I'll take a look. :)