Why become a member? ×

DHA VT2 vs Verellen Meatsmoke?

Dragonlord

Hello folks! I asked the same thing over at TB, but since there are more DHA users here I figured I'd ask here as well. I have a very clean amp and I like that as my main sound, but I'd also like to have the sound of an all-tube amp for a different flavour. What I am looking for is both slight grit/warmth but also all-out tube overdrive. But I'm not interested in buying a different amp - I know you can't get exactly the same effect without a tube power section, but I heard the Verellen Meatsmoke samples and they seem to get close enough for me. I really like what I'm hearing but it's too expensive, and once you add overseas shipping and import taxes... So I looked into alternatives and the DHA VT2 seems like a similar design. Unfortunately the few samples that are posted online are not of great quality and I'm not really sure if it fits the bill. So, if anyone has experience with both pedals, that would be awesome. But I'd still like to hear if you think the VT2 is the best way to get as close as possible to the sound of a heavily overdriven all-tube amp. Thanks!

If you like the meatsmoke sound (which I do) but don't want the amp you can look at getting the pre-amp.
There is one for sale on eBay at the moment and may give you what you need.

I can't tell you any more as I have no practical experience, only sound bites but it sounds killer

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1493975658' post='3292226']
If you like the meatsmoke sound (which I do) but don't want the amp you can look at getting the pre-amp.
There is one for sale on eBay at the moment and may give you what you need.

I can't tell you any more as I have no practical experience, only sound bites but it sounds killer
[/quote]
Thanks! Yes, I meant the preamp when I said Verellen Meatsmoke, I'm aware of it. I've also seen the ebay listing, but it's still like over double price of the VT2... to an extent it's understood, since it's made in the USA. Still, I'm also interested in the DHA, regardless of the price, I've read some great reviews. The Meatsmoke does indeed sound killer, but the VT2 could be just as good, I don't know. There are a couple of youtube videos but they distort so I can't really judge by them...

Ok,

It's a difficult one especially being so much money, and you know you would love it!

Have you tried the Two Notes LeBass?
I have one and it is awesome, you do get a good overdriven sound, and a very good clean sound. I got rid of DG pedals in favour of its sound and flexibility

There some decent videos out there that are pretty true to the sound.
You can change the tube in it to your taste and you can get it second hand, I got mine for £140. This combined with my Cali76G gets a very organic tune sound when maxed, and comes in at less than the meatsmoke alone with far more flexibility.

I haven't tried it, I've seen the videos but to be honest the Meatsmoke seems much warmer and "bigger"/fuller sounding... I'm thinking it might be because of the two tubes vs one, but I might be wrong. The VT2 got me interested because it also seems to have a similar design with two tubes...
I'm typically not a tube guy, I had a hybrid Eden WT550 and sold it... went Glockenklang and now Bergantino, to see where I'm coming from. So I'm picky with tube tone, it's not typically my taste but the Meatsmoke sounds amazing. The VT2 also seems in the right direction for me, from what I can hear...

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1493980529' post='3292304']
I'll agree with the warmth, and like you said all depends on the rest of the set up etc.
If you pass one in a shop, defo worth having a twiddle and a fiddle if you can
[/quote]
Not very probable since they don't have a dealer here! But yes, I want more warmth, so it's probably not for me. Again though, thanks for the suggestions! It was indeed one of the pedals I was very interested in initially.

Well I did get a sweet deal on the Meatsmoke so I decided to go that way, because there were better samples of that online and I felt more confident to go with that... but I think the DHA would be great too. The Le Bass seems interesting too, but half the samples sound great and half sound harsh on heavier gain settings. The last one Cuzzie posted is very nice! Thanks a lot for the replies!

[quote name='Cuzzie' timestamp='1494345779' post='3295204']
[url="https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/25611-bass-oddipreamp-pedal-roundup?page=5"]https://www.premierg...-roundup?page=5[/url]

Le Bass wins!!!
[/quote]

I own the Le Bass, but I have to say out of those clips the Plex and BDDI win for me!

Fair enough dannybuoy, it's why being a bassist is great at the moment, so much variety for everyone's ears.
It may be overkill for me having such a huge pedal, but I mainly just use the A channel, I just love what it does, and use the fusion mode gently as opposed to full on filth.

Well done Dragonlord, it's the correct decision for you and when it arrives, please give some more info/soundbites, I'd be really interested.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1494346204' post='3295213']
I have absolutely nothing to add to the discussion here, but I just love the name of this, Verellen Meatsmoke :).
[/quote]
Actually, the name is the only thing about it that feels a little awkward to me, since I'm a vegetarian, but I'm trying to ignore it :P

[quote name='Dragonlord' timestamp='1494366290' post='3295480']

Actually, the name is the only thing about it that feels a little awkward to me, since I'm a vegetarian, but I'm trying to ignore it :P
[/quote]

Ha, I'm a vegan. I do love the names of some of the pedals though.