Why become a member? ×

Attenuators / power soaks

DangerDan

Hi, this has probably been covered before but i couldn't find anything via the search.

So, i have my beloved and trusty (shocker i know!) SWR SM900. I also have my lovely Zilla 600w 4ohm 2x10.

My problem is that the Swr will only output either 450w or 900w, so either too much or too little.

Can anyone recommend an attenuator or a power soak, or some other solution that will allow me to get the most out of my amp and cab without blowing either up?

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1493981538' post='3292318']
Don't turn it up all the way.. Simples

Just use your ears..
[/quote]

This scares me! I know it's simple, but i guess i worry that at gig volumes i won't be able to hear the warning signs.

[quote name='DangerDan' timestamp='1493981686' post='3292320']

This scares me! I know it's simple, but i guess i worry that at gig volumes i won't be able to hear the warning signs.
[/quote]

You have to.. it's easy to destroy a 450w cab with a 450w head if it's eq'ed badly.

Do you have problems hearing your rig at gig volumes or is this just a "what if"?

[quote name='DBerriff' timestamp='1493982385' post='3292334']
Is 450 Watts really too little? I am not sure I would notice the volume change to 600W. You then have some safety margin against melting your voice coils under gig conditions. And it costs you nothing.
[/quote]

This in spades..

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1493982609' post='3292339']
Don't powersoak/attenuate a SS amp.
[/quote]+1, they should only be used with valve amps, guitar amps at that, to allow over-driving the power amp valves. If you're concerned about pushing a 2x10 too hard add another one.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1493982609' post='3292339']
Don't powersoak/attenuate a SS amp.
[/quote]

This, completely pointless excercise.

Thank you everyone for your advice. Looks lile ill have to suck it up and get another 2x10 then.

I guess on top of pushing the cab hard is that im worried about pushing half my amp hard (im running the amp at 2 o'clock on the volume dial) when using it in "stereo" mode, compared to using roughly half the amps power in bridged mode, hence looking at protecting my cab from the amps potential full power whilst not pushing my amp too hard. I never let my power amp clip, so i know im in good limits there.

[quote name='DangerDan' timestamp='1493987551' post='3292397']
im worried about pushing half my amp hard (im running the amp at 2 o'clock on the volume dial) when using it in "stereo" mode, compared to using roughly half the amps power in bridged mode
[/quote]You should seldom, if ever, use bridged mode, unless you have 16 ohm speakers.
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19292

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1493991505' post='3292450']
You should seldom, if ever, use bridged mode, unless you have 16 ohm speakers.
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=19292
[/quote]

Thank you Mr Fitzmaurice, i really appreciate your advice (though i may need to read it a few more times to get my head around it!)

So i should ignore the "bridged rating" printed on the back of my amp? To be honest im already inclined to ignore these anyway, as what is printed on the amp is different to what is in the manual, and i dont know which to trust!

[quote name='DangerDan' timestamp='1493991921' post='3292454']
So i should ignore the "bridged rating" printed on the back of my amp?
[/quote]Ideally you should ignore watts entirely, as in and of itself the power rating is almost meaningless. What determines speaker performance is voltage swing. But speaker manufacturers aren't exactly in a race to provide maximum displacement limited voltage swing ratings for their cabs, nor do amp manufacturers even mention volts, other than what's coming out of the wall outlet. The technical data provided to purchasers of light bulbs is far more comprehensive. :blush:

Even if you hadn't already been put off power soaks, I haven't yet come across one rated for use with amps above 150W. As others have said they are designed for guitarists who want to drive the valves in the power section of their amp hard.

I don't really understand what you are worried about. Bass amps are designed to be driven hard (perhaps not by bass synths though!) and your SWR has a fan in it to keep the thermal side under control. In my early soul band gigs I had my EA combo cranked into the red for whole songs and only later got hold of Genz Benz gear that could keep up with our loud drummer without breaking too much sweat. The EA did just fine.

I did many gigs with a GB 2x10" and even in marquees it projected enough bass energy, if I can put it like that. I have only ever been asked to turn down. Sometimes it is hard to appreciate how much bass is projected into the venue and perhaps you need a band member or friend to get out in the crowd and let you know what it sounds like.