Why become a member? ×

Pog or sub n up? Or a different octave pedal altogether?

T-Bay

Just after experiences/ recommendations for an octave pedal. I like the sound of both of these from internet searches but would like real life experiences from people ideally and open to any other suggestions as well.

Octave pedals in general are divided in two significantly different categories, digital (like the ones you mentioned) and analog. First you need to decide what suits you. Analog can only track one note at a time (monophonic) and aren't "clean" - the octave down will have a synthy quality and the octave up will be fuzzy. They are also usually not very good at tracking the lowest notes of the bass, like E or lower. Digital are usually polyphonic so they can track chords, can track lower (of course that depends on the exact pedal) but can sound a bit "fake", especially the octave up. They give you a clean note, but not much like your bass one octave higher, more like an organ... If it's digital that suits you, I think that the two you mentioned should be very nice. I ordered a Mooer Tender Octaver today, but they are hard to find, these have been discontinued after a lawsuit from Electro Harmonix.

I have a Nano POG, which is brilliant! I have heard good things about the TC Sub'n'Up too! There are PLENTY of other options too, like the The EHX Pitch Folk, The Behringer Ultra Shifter/Harmoniser, The Boss Harmoniser or-if you can find it-The Mooer Tender Octaver.
It all depends on (1) What sound you are looking for. (2) How simple or in depth do want the features of your pedal to be. And (3) How much you can spend.
I'm sure you know this already though!
If you can try them all, then do so!
Hope you have fun finding out!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1494053101' post='3292829']
The other major advantage of analog octavers other than tone is that there is no processing delay. Digital octavers usually lag a few ms behind the dry note, I notice it and it bugs me.
[/quote]
Hmmm, I wasn't aware of that. I thought the delay was down to settings/ individual pedals so that is food for thought as I am sure it would bug me as well.

Thanks for all the replies, some great food for thought.

I found this very recent thread on octave pedals also very helpful. Some really good discussion about the two pedals you mentioned plus a number of others, both analogue and digital - worth checking out:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/302205-if-you-could-only-choose-one-octave-pedal/"]http://basschat.co.u...e-octave-pedal/[/url]

I ended up sticking with my old Boss PS-6 Harmonist, which as well as being a polyphonic octave up and down pedal can provide other harmonic intervals too (such as thirds and fifths).

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1494065707' post='3292939']
I found this recent thread on octave pedals also very helpful. Some really good discussion about the two pedals you mentioned plus a number of others, both analogue and digital - worth checking out:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/302205-if-you-could-only-choose-one-octave-pedal/"]http://basschat.co.u...e-octave-pedal/[/url]

I ended up sticking with my old Boss PS-6 Harmonist, which as well as being a polyphonic octave up and down pedal can provide other harmonic intervals too such as (thirds and fifths).
[/quote]
I had read that before I posted this. I guess, as with most things, people have a personal favourite so you end up getting a lot of possibilities which is why I have done some research and (at least think) have narrowed it down to the two above but wanted to remain open to suggestions if there was something amazing I have missed. I am still undecided and think I really need to have a play with some and see what I like best. As always on here, the experience of the members is immense and helps narrow down the options and I much prefer to hear reviews from people who use them than the people who make them!

I ABed the ehx nanoPOG and pitchfork at a local music shop. Both sounded and tracked great (to my ears), even with chords on a 5er that had open E or B notes.
I ended up going with the pitchfork mainly because of utility. Between the two, just go for the one with the controls you like.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It's arrived and I have had a chance to have a play. Very first impressions were a bit mixed, it seemed a bit muddy on monophonic and the TonePrint was terrible. I sat down and twiddled some knobs, then twiddled some more and have now found a setting I really like. I also played with the TonePrint, I don't have an adapter for my iPad so could only use the beam function and not the full editor. There are some good stock ones though and it will be difficult to choose only one.

Overall I am very pleased with it, but it still needs some playing with to get spot on. There are a wide range of possibilities but that also means it takes a while to get the sweet spot. I use a Gibson Thunderbird through TE amp and cabs. I tried a few octave pedals in a shop but (oddly enough) they didn't have a set up quite like mine and that obviously makes a big difference when getting the sound and tone you want.

I'll heartily recommend an Aguilar Octamizer. One of the best octave pedals I've tried, hands down. And I own several! Currently running an Octamizer, a COG T16, a 3Leaf Octabvre mini and a DOD Meatbox but out of those 4 the only one I can 100% say I'll NEVER sell is the Octamizer. In fact, I'll probably buy another one at some point! It's analog, so no lag, and has an excellent range of sounds available with th filter knob. Truly delicious.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...