Why become a member? ×

NAD Aguilar TH500

Oopsdabassist

Bought a Tonehammer 500 off Higgie as I was looking for a warmer sound to compliment my BF 2x10. Was absolutely blown away at rehearsal last night, and got thumbs up from all band members and even the owner (also a bass player) He thought I was playing through the house Ampeg!!

Cant wait to gig this gorgeous combo...was so carried away last night I forgot to take pics..but will follow up soon.

Glad you're happy with it mate! It's a fantastic amp and as I said, I wouldn't have sold it in an ideal world! The Darkglass head just seems to fit more with what I need at the moment, have the overdrive channel built in etc.

As mentioned here, Bergantino are a particularly good match for it cab-wise, the AE410 and TH500 has been my main gigging rig for quite a while. Also had epic results with my Epifani UL410.

If I can give you one piece of advice, play around with the Drive control. It's not just for dialing in dirt. As you start turning it up, it starts to make the Gain and EQ section interact with each other a little differently than when it was off/on a lower setting. So once you turn it up a bit, have a fiddle with the Gain and EQ. You can get some really awesome tones that way.

Edited by Higgie

I agree with Higgie. In fact, I set the gain on mine at just above zero and just use the drive to get the sound I'm after. This doesn't add grit as you might expect, it tightens up the bass and treble in rather a nice way. Also, even though I have an active bass, I do not engage the -10db button ahead of the preamp.
Three years ago I had a Stingray/Th500/TKS 115 rig and have tried various other combinations of bass and rig in the interim only to be back to exactly the same rig in 2017, and very happy with it too.