Why become a member? ×

One cab solution !!!

kevvo66

Hiya people ,I'm just pondering at the moment really , but I'm looking at a one cab solution really , not really gigging at the minute but just in case I do I'm looking ,I have a pair scroeder cabs that I love , but wouldn't take them to some of the rough arsed pubs I've played for fear of damage , I keep getting told bergs are the one cab solution , I've done barefaced not really my thing to be honest with you ,apologies to any fanboys or girls out there , I'm now the proud owner of markbass lm2 so that what I'd be gigging with the cab? Mainly pub gigs also and small festivals
Cheers
Kev

There's only one answer. Stick to what you love and suits your playing.

I have never had any fear about my gear being damaged on a gig. If you're playing gigs like that I'd be more fearful for my own safety than that of a few boxes of wires. IMO Bergs are a far better cab than TC but in this "dangerous" world you seem to inhabit I'd still be as worried for those cabs.

Again, if you are happy to play on a gig like you describe, your gear should be the least of your worries.

Mmmm good point , not all the pubs but I've played are ,but I've played some rough venues over the years ,you've just answered my question I need to be more selective on where I play really 👍

Edited by kevvo66

An Ashdown ABM410 is a cracking cab. Can be picked up used for under £200. They`re not that heavy, about 70lbs, and stick a decent set of castors on and no problems at all. That`s what I`ve done with mine. I`ve a bad back and due to the size/shape and castors I have no trouble with it. And forget the woolly rumours, these cabs can do high ened no worries, though I do have to back off of the lows a bit.

Perhaps a bit of a left field suggestion but my vote goes for a TKS 1126. I'm biased since I own one but it really is a fantastic cab. There are a few others lurking here who will heartily agree with me I'm sure.

Another advocate for TKS here, although mine is a 1x15. It's the size and weight of a 1x12 with the kick and presence of a 4x10.
In fact, when it arrived I thought I had been sent the wrong cab because it is so compact. The great thing about this cab is the dispersion of sound, even if you are standing very close.

Agree with Bill. If you find something you like, but want more of it, buy more of it. To make an informed decision, you really need to try some different options with your head and instrument. As you've found via your experience with BF, what suits others won't necessarily be your cup of tea, so treat our suggestions with caution. A visit to a well stocked shop or two looks to be the order of the day.

I'd add Epifani to your list, but that's just my preference. Also, if you use a MB head, you ought to try their cabs.

[quote name='GILLY' timestamp='1494135517' post='3293460']
Another advocate for TKS here, although mine is a 1x15. It's the size and weight of a 1x12 with the kick and presence of a 4x10.
In fact, when it arrived I thought I had been sent the wrong cab because it is so compact. The great thing about this cab is the dispersion of sound, even if you are standing very close.
[/quote]

Which model do you have, is it the new H115?

Cheers,
Eude

Edited by eude

One cab solution, there's only one cab solution,
One cab solu-u-u-u-u-tion, there's only one cab solution.

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Just%20Stuff/Sundry/Come%20On%20England_zpsagycsbr7.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Just%20Stuff/Sundry/Come%20On%20England_zpsagycsbr7.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1494238731' post='3294153']
Which model do you have, is it the new H115?

Cheers,
Eude
[/quote]

Indeed it is. 14kg of low frequency goodness. God knows how they manage to get a 15" speaker into such a small enclosure.

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1494058940' post='3292876']
Hiya people ,I'm just pondering at the moment really , but I'm looking at a one cab solution really , not really gigging at the minute but just in case I do I'm looking ,I have a pair scroeder cabs that I love , but wouldn't take them to some of the rough arsed pubs I've played for fear of damage , I keep getting told bergs are the one cab solution , I've done barefaced not really my thing to be honest with you ,apologies to any fanboys or girls out there , I'm now the proud owner of markbass lm2 so that what I'd be gigging with the cab? Mainly pub gigs also and small festivals
Cheers
Kev
[/quote]

I know you said you've done BF but...

After trying their Compact and BB2 (x2) (and others that I did not own but tried)... I found the 'retro' series (10" speakers, ceramic magnets) much more my thing. I currently use very often a single Two10 (4ohm) plus a MarkBass LM3, and I find that to be a pretty cool combination. It loves my Stingray and Precision/PJJ the most. Very nice low end that does not get boomy, very good definition, and a sweet low midrange. It can get pretty bright if you want it to, of course.

If you've tried that and didn't like it, no worries :) but if you haven't there could be worse things that you could do ;) I've got quite a few positive comments with that combination.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1494398791' post='3295549']
I don't understand. You have two lovely and expensive cabs which you quite reasonably don't want to take to the rougher venues, but all the suggested replacements are of equally lovely and expensive cabs.
[/quote]

Lol, the irony.

Good point, well made !

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1494398791' post='3295549']
I don't understand. You have two lovely and expensive cabs which you quite reasonably don't want to take to the rougher venues, but all the suggested replacements are of equally lovely and expensive cabs.
[/quote]

Another lol from me when I read this - good point indeed :)

Re the OP's original "fears" about some venues. I know what you mean - I've played a few of those venues myself. Oddly enough, they are often the ones with the best atmosphere, or where the punters come & chat to you about your bass, or particular songs, or say how they liked your set!

In my case, I'm not usually concerned about amps & speaker cabs - I'm more worried about whether a bass will get bumped, or stolen while I'm loading the car etc. I think cabs can take someone falling on them, or bumping into them - and they're not really something you can sneak out through the door, under your coat...

You could end up buying a cheap cab(s) - but not being happy with your sound, or finding they weigh a ton, or are far bulkier than your current rig. I'd carry on gigging with the rig you have - it's what you bought it for :)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1494060581' post='3292893']
There's only one answer. Stick to what you love and suits your playing.

I have never had any fear about my gear being damaged on a gig. If you're playing gigs like that I'd be more fearful for my own safety than that of a few boxes of wires. IMO Bergs are a far better cab than TC but in this "dangerous" world you seem to inhabit I'd still be as worried for those cabs.

Again, if you are happy to play on a gig like you describe, your gear should be the least of your worries.
[/quote]

This. Looking at Berg cabs because you're worried about taking your Schroeders to dodgy dives doesn't make any sense to me! If you're playing in the sort of venue where you're worried about your gear getting nicked or damaged, you should surely be looking at cheap and cheerful alternatives!

[quote name='GILLY' timestamp='1494356807' post='3295336']
Indeed it is. 14kg of low frequency goodness. God knows how they manage to get a 15" speaker into such a small enclosure.
[/quote]

Nice one dude.
That cab is very much on 'my list'...

Eude

A relatively small and low(ish) option is the little MarkBass 210 Traveller in a 4ohm configuration.

It's easy to carry, sits at a nice height standing vertically, sounds pretty loud with decent bottom end, draws the full power from your amp and is available at reasonable prices on the used market.

It also doesn't look particularly flash (although the yellow speakers are fairly distinctive).

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1494425877' post='3295874']
The roughness of the venues was why I suggested an Ashdown ABM 410 which can be got for under £200. Rock-solid, no cloth grill, decent sound, no worries with over-exuberance.
[/quote]
I had one once. Sounded great.

No way I could lift it anymore though.

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1494058940' post='3292876'],I have a pair scroeder cabs that I love , but wouldn't take them to some of the rough arsed pubs I've played for fear of damage ,
[/quote]

Get them insured? :)