Why become a member? ×

Bridge-Only Jazz Pickup Purchase

Andy_L

Does anyone know of anywhere in the UK that sells Fender Custom Shop 60s Jazz pickups as single items rather than in pairs? It's for a PJ bass so I need only the bridge pickup.

There are a couple of places in the US via Ebay but I'd prefer somewhere more local and to avoid import duty hassles if possible

Thanks

Andy

Edited by Andy_L

Be careful of matching in a PJ configuration. A non hum-cancelling J could lead to nasty hum when in solo mode and you can get phasing issues as well.

There's also often quite a few problems with non-matched pairs where the P is dominant and the J doesn't add much to the tone - in fact I've even had this with a matched pair!

Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1494070872' post='3293010']
Be careful of matching in a PJ configuration. A non hum-cancelling J could lead to nasty hum when in solo mode and you can get phasing issues as well.

There's also often quite a few problems with non-matched pairs where the P is dominant and the J doesn't add much to the tone - in fact I've even had this with a matched pair!

Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here :)
[/quote]

No, not at all, thanks.

I was thinking of the 60s Custom Shop Jazz and 62 Custom Shop Precision. I'm after a nice vintage tone

Unless you already have the P I'd recommend looking for matched pair from one of the better manufacturers.

There's quite a few out there that have vintage type specs - Aguilar, Nordstrand, Seymour Duncan etc. all make fine PJ sets.

Don't limit yourself to non-hum-cancelling bridge J pickups. the minimal hum you will get soloing it will be exactly the same as in a standard Jazz bass setup. Leo himself found that to be acceptable.

I have found the Tonerider bridge J to be fairly beefy and an excellent partner to most vintage output-type P pickups in a PJ.

Thanks everyone. If it makes a difference I don't think I've ever played it with just the jazz pickup only (other than the day I got it). The P pickup is generally 75-100% of what I use it for (country rock) with just a bit of J added in