Why become a member? ×

New DHA pedal - help please

DHA

I am going to launch a new range of pedals and hoping for your help in what is it you like and dislike in my designs.

The new range will be silk-screened so won't have the custom hand writing that I know some of you hate! Will still do the custom range as well but may cut back on the number of models. The idea will be to make more standard production versions that I will also sell in shops.

My best seller is the VT1-EQ-Di-Bass Mk2 so thinking the first version with silk-screen writing will be based on this but are there features you guys want like wet/dry blend, etc. Do you like the headphone amp or is it a waste of time? Is the colour feature useful?

Is there another model that people would like in this new format?

Edited by DHA

Yeah man definitely a 9v version i could daisy chain (internal charge pump?) i had a early vt1 , but now having a small pedaltrain board i'd love all pedals to be run off the same supply.
Also simplicity isn't such a bad thing either :-) the likes of all the features on the new GK pre pedal just puts me off the thing

Edited by danbowskill

Hi Dave. A wet/dry blend, standard Boss power supply (negative centre, 9v) and smaller would be great.

A D.I. would be welcome but not sure a headphone option or Line In would be necessary. Some people may totally disagree with that though.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1494091411' post='3293225']
I`d like to see a pedal that ran on batteries and didn`t need an external PSU.
[/quote]

Might not run for very long, that's the problem. Maybe a couple of PP3's in parallel, I will do an experiment.

thanks

[quote name='eddiehoffmann' timestamp='1494091609' post='3293229']
A more universal power sollution please!
[/quote]

They do run off a 9V negative center now, what do you mean by more universal?

Edited by DHA

[quote name='danbowskill' timestamp='1494091971' post='3293233']
Yeah man definitely a 9v version i could daisy chain (internal charge pump?) i had a early vt1 , but now having a small pedaltrain board i'd love all pedals to be run off the same supply.
Also simplicity isn't such a bad thing either :-) the likes of all the features on the new GK pre pedal just puts me off the thing
[/quote]

Having valves in there does limit what power supply I can use. There is already a charge pump in there that takes the 9-12V and generates the higher plate voltage. The 9-12V runs the valve heaters which is what takes all the current. The new versions will run off a 9v daisy chain an long as there is enough current.

[quote name='jimbartlett' timestamp='1494092533' post='3293236']
Hi Dave. A wet/dry blend, standard Boss power supply (negative centre, 9v) and smaller would be great.

A D.I. would be welcome but not sure a headphone option or Line In would be necessary. Some people may totally disagree with that though.
[/quote]

Thanks, useful info.

[quote name='eddiehoffmann' timestamp='1494094917' post='3293268']
I didn't know that. So is there an internal power pump now? And would it be ok to run it off a T-Rex Fuel Tank Chameleon?
[/quote]

Always has been a voltage doubler in my pedals to get a higher plate voltage. I switched to negative centre a few years back so people can use "Boss" type supplies if they wish. There is a loss in headroom when running at 9V instead of 12V but the tone is still the same.

What output current is the T-Rex?

[quote name='DHA' timestamp='1494095323' post='3293273']

Always has been a voltage doubler in my pedals to get a higher plate voltage. I switched to negative centre a few years back so people can use "Boss" type supplies if they wish. There is a loss in headroom when running at 9V instead of 12V but the tone is still the same.

What output current is the T-Rex?
[/quote]

This is what's on their website:

[quote name='eddiehoffmann' timestamp='1494096688' post='3293292']
Would that be ok? Thanks for taking time to reply too, man!
[/quote]

Looks like 300mA, a VT1 takes around 320mA so no unless you use the current doubler feature.

If you are going to drop the headphone amp and aux in, maybe make that a separate pedal? There aren't many options out there for simple compact headphone amps; the EHX one has no aux in, the PJB Bighead is great but expensive.

I used to use the headphone and line in function as a home practice amp and found it really, really useful. I sometimes wished it had a blend and a hpf so that I could keep the lows clean and just add some hair to the top.

Just my twopenneth

I don't see the need for a blend. On full range low gain devices, they only serve to dilute all that delicious tone. They are only useful on heavier distortions or drive circuits that drop low end in my experience. I know you can crank a VT1 to get something approaching a fuzz, but I doubt that's how most people use theirs.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1494102482' post='3293343']
I don't see the need for a blend. On full range low gain devices, they only serve to dilute all that delicious tone. They are only useful on heavier distortions or drive circuits that drop low end in my experience. I know you can crank a VT1 to get something approaching a fuzz, but I doubt that's how most people use theirs.
[/quote]

I second that.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1494102482' post='3293343']
[/quote]
I would vote for the blend. More options are always good. If some don't want it, they can keep 100% wet, and it will still be there for those that do.

Also, I've always dug the whole paint splatter and hand written thing. Love it on my blend loop.

I had one of your old VT2 pedals with the colour and clipping switches but never used any of them as it sounded best stock; in fact I just used the pedal like a VT1 std/purist. I would like to see a barebones VT1 with just gain and volume (and maybe input pad) in as small a box as possible.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1494098643' post='3293312']
If you are going to drop the headphone amp and aux in, maybe make that a separate pedal? There aren't many options out there for simple compact headphone amps; the EHX one has no aux in, the PJB Bighead is great but expensive.
[/quote]

mmmm..

could be an idea, will think about it

thanks

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1494098906' post='3293313']
I used to use the headphone and line in function as a home practice amp and found it really, really useful. I sometimes wished it had a blend and a hpf so that I could keep the lows clean and just add some hair to the top.

Just my twopenneth
[/quote]

thanks,

could a high end all functions version and a lower cost no frills one as well