Why become a member? ×

Light weight set to replace my EBS rig

isteen

I am looking for a lighter set (300-500 watt)to replace my curtent set-up - a 500 watt EBS Classic + 4x10 EBS CL).
I am thinking of an Hartke LH500 (NOT very light weight) and possibly a 2x12.
What good sounding cab would go nicely with that Harke Amp?
What else could you suggest, for a pop/rock band?

Edited by isteen

I swapped my EBS rig for a Genz Benz rig - big mistake - following the requisite honeymoon period and "Emperors clothes" I realised that lightweight just didn't live up to the hype.

If you insist on going lightweight think about a lightweight cab - Vanderkley or Barefaced - but keep the EBS head or go for a lighter HD series.

My experience with Genz Benz was very different and my rig more than lived up to the hype. It all depends what sound you are looking for and the volume levels you need.

Barefaced too - really good cabs. And speaker technology has moved on since the GB gear came out.

Edited by DBerriff

I don't think that a Hartke LH500 plus a normal 2x12 cab will be much lighter than what you already have. You could look at the number of class D and micro amps that are currently on the market, EBS, Aguilar, Ampeg, Markbass and TC Electronic all have some nice stuff.

In terms of lightweight cabs, it depends on what you are looking for. The EBS 4x10 cabs are pretty heavy duty, you might feel an absence of heft with a micro set up.

I've been IEM with direct from a MicroBass preamp for the past couple of years to get that EBS sound. However, the gigs where we're using external companies for PA and need backline, I take my EBS HD350 and a Bergantino HD212. Sounds absolutely awesome. The Proline 410 was a wonderful cab, loved it. But the Bergie sounds great too, loud as foo and can handle all the 350 throws at it. A great combination and a small foot print.

In fact, got a big corporate tomorrow where we're using a big stage and big PA so having to go with said combination. Really looking forward to hearing an amp behind me again.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1494122423' post='3293444']
I`d echo the "keep the amp, save the weight on the cab" advice. Many good lighter cabs around, Barefaced, Bergantino, TKS, Vanderkley, Schroeder. Or look at a couple of EBS 1x12s.
[/quote]

Agree here too, that is assuming you already love your amp.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1494142263' post='3293509']

Agree here too, that is assuming you already love your amp.
[/quote]

I do. I have tried A LOT of stuff. The stack I love most is my Reidmar going into 2 12" CL also from EBS

The EBS tone is quite distinctive - tending towards the bright/punchy end of the spectrum. Reidmar probably the best lightweight option if you like the sound. Mesa Subway head worth a listen for that style of sound, too, but expensive.