Why become a member? ×

Adding some structure to my learning

j1mu5

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out with adding a bit more structure to my learning. I'm currently having lessons every other week which give's me something to work on but feel like I could do with a template or guide to ensure I'm maximising my practice time.

I've been considering looking at taking grades and working through those books to give me a bit more direction. I have a real tendency to let my mind wonder and not really move forward so any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

Have a read of this, which summarises most of what I've learned in 17 years of [i]trying[/i] to get my sh*t together:

http://www.freebasstranscriptions.com/2014/02/02/7-steps-to-better-practice/

[quote name='TKenrick' timestamp='1494346866' post='3295217']
Have a read of this, which summarises most of what I've learned in 17 years of [i]trying[/i] to get my sh*t together:

[url="http://www.freebasstranscriptions.com/2014/02/02/7-steps-to-better-practice/"]http://www.freebasst...etter-practice/[/url]
[/quote]

That's a great post there are definitely a few things I will be using from that in fact just ordered a diary to start tracking what I'm doing.

Glad you got something out of the post! Just re-read your original post and this jumped out at me:

[quote name='j1mu5' timestamp='1494180747' post='3293857']
I'm currently having lessons every other week which give's me something to work on but feel like I could do with a template or guide to ensure I'm maximising my practice time.
[/quote]

Without wanting to pass comment on your lessons - about which I know nothing - this is really an area that [i]any[/i] teacher should cover sooner rather than later; it stops you wasting time (and money) and ensures that they don't spend lesson time recapping too much content from the previous lesson. Everyone wins.

If a teacher can't outline some clear and effective strategies for practising that are directly applicable to you then, well...

[quote name='TKenrick' timestamp='1494365684' post='3295473']
Glad you got something out of the post! Just re-read your original post and this jumped out at me:

Without wanting to pass comment on your lessons - about which I know nothing - this is really an area that [i]any[/i] teacher should cover sooner rather than later; it stops you wasting time (and money) and ensures that they don't spend lesson time recapping too much content from the previous lesson. Everyone wins.

If a teacher can't outline some clear and effective strategies for practising that are directly applicable to you then, well...
[/quote]

You're right, of course. But from my experience, few people offering services as "teachers" really offer an effective service like this.

[quote name='TKenrick' timestamp='1494365684' post='3295473']

[/quote]

Bit of a late reply on this one but I wanted to wait to see how I got on with another tutor. I'm pleased to say that this one has given me some clear guidance now and has given me challenges to work on through the week as well. So it looks like I'm sorted now, thanks for the advice, it gave me the push I needed

• 4 weeks later...

You should definitely check out notreble.com there is a 2part article by Adam Nitti bout structuring your practice regiment. Damian Erskin (weekly contributor) also touches this topic several times in his articles. Have fun :)

Edited by basior