Why become a member? ×

Time For A New Wireless System

ezbass

So, today at a rehearsal session, I had some fluctuations in volume level, a little crackling and an odd, occasional red LED; it appears that my old Samson Airline system is on the way out :( It seems the time has come for a new system (yes I still want to be wireless). What do you recommend and, almost more importantly, why do you recommend it?

I like the stageclix,
Built like a brick outhouse, 2.4 MHz and can select channels so little chance of interfering with other users. Mains powered receiver, transmitter has its own rechargable battery which charges when plugged into receiver. I find if I leave it charging after set up and befor playing, it will charge fully, so no batteries or separate chargers to faf about with

Thanks for these suggestions guys. I have to say that the Smooth Hound looks like the best 'like for like' replacement for my Samson, but keep those suggestions coming, together with your justifications.

I've been using a Line 6 G50 for about six years. Never misses a beat, I get about three gigs out of a pair of Duracell's and the signal is solid as a rock. The G50 also has the metal transmitter pack, and mine has been dropped, swung from its cable etc and is still going strong.

Line 6 G55, for reasons stated by others above.
Alternatively, and far more cheaply, I'm [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/303415-trantec-s45-uhf-wireless-with-rackmount-kit-price-drop-now-l60-posted/"]selling my Trantec S4.5[/url] for a knock-down price... :D

Edited by Rich
Wrong model number

I use a Line 6 G55, which also has the [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]metal transmitter pack and very good battery life. [/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]The reason I chose the G55 over the G50 is that the little half rack receiver sits nicely on top of my little class D amp and I don't use a pedal board - the G50 is designed for pedal board mounting, I think? [/color][/font]

[quote name='bumnote' timestamp='1494192592' post='3293967']
I like the stageclix,
Built like a brick outhouse, 2.4 MHz and can select channels so little chance of interfering with other users. Mains powered receiver, transmitter has its own rechargable battery which charges when plugged into receiver. I find if I leave it charging after set up and befor playing, it will charge fully, so no batteries or separate chargers to faf about with
[/quote]

I have the Stageclix Jack and have been using it for 4 years, it's great. Apparently you get interference when using it with active basses but it works perfectly with my Tragic with its 18v pre-amp.

I've had the StageClix jack for a few years. Great performance and no interference, even with another two being used onstage, one for acoustic guitar, the other for electric.
Our (former) fiddle player used the Smoothhound and I was also impressed by it, as was she.

My preference for the StageClix has a lot to do with the "no batteries" set up. Very convenient.

Been on my radar to get a wireless set up, so this thread is very timely and helpful, thanks! The Smooth Hound at £149 seems to be coming in at less than half the price of the Line 6 G55 (£330) or the Stage Clix V4 (£379) and given the uniformly positive reviews from everyone seems like a great place to start...

[quote name='beely' timestamp='1494323859' post='3294928']

My preference for the StageClix has a lot to do with the "no batteries" set up. Very convenient.
[/quote]

Thats why I like the stageclix, never have to worry about spare batteries. With my old system I used to chuck the battery away after every gig, just to make sure I didnt die midway through the next gig. bought mine early 2012, never had a minutes problem. It is not cheap, but in my opinion, worth it

One of the aspects I like about the Line 6 TBP12 transmitter (the metal one) is that its display shows the battery life in hours/mins, which is repeated by an LED bar-meter on the G55 receiver. I doubt that it's going to be accurate to the minute, but it does at least give you an idea whether or not the batteries will last the set.

Incidentally, I'm not a fan of wireless packs that have non replaceable batteries... or not AAs for that matter! At least if you have forgotten to charge your wireless (last minute gig comes in or whatever) - you can quickly pop to pretty much any shop and pick up some AAs. Can't say that for AAAs... and you are out of luck if you have non replaceable batteries. The other thing about non replaceable batteries is the hassle of sorting them if it goes faulty or dies over time etc...

For rechargeables, I use eneloops. Even if you charge them and leave them on the shelf for the year, they are still good to go.

The only thing that I am really critical about, apart from the RF performance and sound quality, is the latency. Take that into account, especially if you are running digital desks and digital pedals... and especially inears.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1494347921' post='3295233']
Incidentally, I'm not a fan of wireless packs that have non replaceable batteries... or not AAs for that matter! At least if you have forgotten to charge your wireless (last minute gig comes in or whatever) - you can quickly pop to pretty much any shop and pick up some AAs. Can't say that for AAAs... and you are out of luck if you have non replaceable batteries. The other thing about non replaceable batteries is the hassle of sorting them if it goes faulty or dies over time etc...

[/quote]

The stageclix plugs into the receiver and charges from there. My stageclix has charge left from the last gig,I move my amp in place, plug in the cables and the stageclix on charge. Do the soundcheck, put the transmitter on charge while I wait to go on stage, and during the break.

In 5 years ive never had a flat battery.

Well it seems that there is a massive (like half of all the responses) following in favour of Smooth Hound and it does appear to be easily the most competitively priced of the recommendations on this thread. Good enough for me! Order placed - looking forward to being a bassist unleashed :)

[attachment=245094:Smooth Hound.JPG]

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1494400076' post='3295559']
You won't be disappointed!
[/quote]

Arrived today and I'm not!

Doddle to set up. Comes with a free plectrum, what more could you ask for? :)

8MS latency - well apparently it takes my brain 0.17seconds to react to an audio stimulus which is 20 times slower, so I'm not surprised I can't notice anything :)

Going to be a fun addition to the armoury.

PS saved £6 on postage by going direct rather than via Amazon and arrived within 48 hours of putting the order in.

Edited by Al Krow