Why become a member? ×

Aguilar dB and Bareface question

Bronx

Hi. I'm just about to purchase an Aguilar dB 212 4 ohm cab to use with the TH500.I absolutely love the tone, exactly what I was looking for using an Ibanez ATK 400, really warm and rounded sound with clarity. Just about to buy and start reading about the Bareface cabs and like what I'm reading. Has anyone had experience of using both of these cabs with the TH500 and able to comment on whether they are similar in sound?

I went from using a TH500 first with a Barefaced Super 12 (gen 2) to a DB212 and then a DB212 + a DB210 which was basically epic.

I used to love my Super 12 with my old Ashdown heads (Spyder 550 and ABM500), but somehow it never sounded great with the TH500. The second I plugged into the DB212... It was all there. And even more after I added the DB210. That rig was truly amazing.

In my experience, lightweight cabs need a full fat amp to sound their best.

Don't have a lot of experience with the current Barefaced cabs though...

Thanks Eddie. I know what you mean regarding plugging into the dB and "it was all there". I've tried the TH through a few cabs last week, Markbass, Mesa, TCE and Orange and none really did it for me. Thanks for your thoughts though, really helpful. Cheers.

The db212 was my main cab for a very long time SOUNDWISE.
I unloaded it for a pair of BF BB2, which are considerably lighter.

If you want to keep the warm db212 sound, I am not sure if the TH500 has "enough" eq to get those db low mids into the BB2.

To my ears, the MarkBass 104HF is rather close to the db212.

[quote name='Bronx' timestamp='1494192482' post='3293965']
Hi. I'm just about to purchase an Aguilar dB 212 4 ohm cab to use with the TH500.I absolutely love the tone, [b]exactly what I was looking for[/b] using an Ibanez ATK 400, really warm and rounded sound with clarity.
[/quote]

Sounds like you've found the answer :)

I'm a fan of everything Aguilar. I've used a TH500 since they came out and now have their OB3 pre amp in a bass. I know a few guys who will put up with the excessive weight to get the great tone out of their DB cabs but I'm afraid I'm not one of them. Aguilar also went for the square format for their 212 which IMO makes it even harder to move around. A lot of players also like the sound of SL cabs with a TH500

Top quality makes I've use with my TH500 are Bergantino AE and CN cabs and Barefaced BB2 and SC cabs. As your interest has been raised, there must be some Barefaced cabs you can try in your part of the world.

Thanks Chris B. I'll see how I get on with the weight issue and may have to lighten up later but have gone for the DB212 as I think I'd just compare everything else to it for now.
Graham, you are right!
Thanks for your thoughts gents, so looking forward to getting it into a gig this weekend. I'm not used to new gear, keep the set up I like and stick with it for ages. I enjoyed the PF 500 until it packed in for the 2nd time recently I front of a big crowd! Thankfully the d.i kept going and had in ears for that gig! Must dust of the bassman siverface 50 head, will be interested to hear how it sounds through the DB!
Thanks guys.

We'll, the db212 arrived. What an awesome cab!Having only been used to 115's or 412's, this is a fantastic compromise.Bellows of warm acute bass. I've never been one for using tweeters much before but have had to add in a bit to bring out some punctuation. Thanks again for all taking the time to share their views, spot on!