Why become a member? ×

TKS S112 continue to impress.

mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1494492338' post='3296400']
I preferred the sound of the S112, that's right. The 1126 was more powerful, with lots of bottom end. My plan then was to just have the two 1126 and nothing else. But I didn't gel with them. Same with a pair of BF BB2 cabs. The S112 cabs are much more my thing. They just don't get as loud or as deep as the 1126 or BB2... but it turns out it's not really much of a problem.
[/quote]

Same for me. The 1126 is bigger and wider (tonally, and physically) but I prefer the way the S112 'speaks' - it's more present.

• 1 month later...

I have to add that the S112 pair has been relegated to home use...
They're great, but the pair of Barefaced Two10 when combined with the Mesa D800+ amplifier is a few notches above the S112 rig. It's bigger, but not terribly so and not that heavy either... and it sounds fantastic. The bottom end hits you, but I retain all the definition that I loved on the TKS cabs... a great sound that blends in beautifully in the band but retains presence and it just feels so powerful. I bet the TKS would sound great with the Mesa too, but the Two10 can use the power from the amp and deliver beyond what the smaller S112 cabs can do.

I'm still loving the S112 cabs, which is why they stay until space becomes an issue, but there's no contest between these two rigs.

Here's the new kid:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1498557116' post='3325447']
I have to add that the S112 pair has been relegated to home use...
They're great, but the pair of Barefaced Two10 when combined with the Mesa D800+ amplifier is a few notches above the S112 rig. It's bigger, but not terribly so and not that heavy either... and it sounds fantastic. The bottom end hits you, but I retain all the definition that I loved on the TKS cabs... a great sound that blends in beautifully in the band but retains presence and it just feels so powerful. I bet the TKS would sound great with the Mesa too, but the Two10 can use the power from the amp and deliver beyond what the smaller S112 cabs can do.

I'm still loving the S112 cabs, which is why they stay until space becomes an issue, but there's no contest between these two rigs.

Here's the new kid:

[/quote]

They look ace. Have to ask though, how is the vinyl finish? Have they sorted out whatever glue issue was causing them to strip?

I wouldn't mind picking one up, if that's all history.

[quote name='M@23' timestamp='1498561119' post='3325489']
They look ace. Have to ask though, how is the vinyl finish? Have they sorted out whatever glue issue was causing them to strip?

I wouldn't mind picking one up, if that's all history.
[/quote]

I can't tell for sure, I've had them less than a year (I bought the first Two10 in September last year). So far, they seem ok.

For the time being, they look good enough and nothing is peeling away like they did on the first run. It's a much nicer finish that on the other BF cabs, in my opinion, and I do like their softly textured vinyl more than most other alternatives I've seen in other cabs. So I hope their new glue is as long lasting as other manufacturers'.

So the BF retros go lower and still have good articulation compared to the TKS S112. Had my first run out with the Single TKS S112 it coped well in a small barn with no PA support. But I bit more beef on tap wouldn't go a miss. Never consider a 2 x 10. Was looking at the super compact and Big baby 2 as possible one cab solution if the TKS didn't stand up.

[quote name='tonyclaret' timestamp='1498566072' post='3325541']
So the BF retros go lower and still have good articulation compared to the TKS S112. Had my first run out with the Single TKS S112 it coped well in a small barn with no PA support. But I bit more beef on tap wouldn't go a miss. Never consider a 2 x 10. Was looking at the super compact and Big baby 2 as possible one cab solution if the TKS didn't stand up.
[/quote]

I'm not sure they go lower, what I mean is they are able to give you *more* bass. That extra 'beef on tap' you mention. A lot of extra beef in fact. And you can put more power through them too, of course.
I can't imagine using a single S112 except for the tiniest rooms.

I think as a single cab solution the BB2 would be good, if a single S112 seems to work for you. I had a pair of them! :) But I never found it to sound just right, while the Two10 does. I think the BB2 probably gets louder, I think it probably has a deeper low end, but the Two10 sounds better for my taste. And two of them sound very good even when I don't need to be very loud. It's not just volume.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been deliberating over a couple of variants of these for a while now, and really fancy a s112 (or a pair...). Does anyone have any experience of the wide w212 as compared to the standard width s212? The standard is about 4 litres bigger (based purely on outside dimensions); would this make a significant difference?

[quote name='ben4343' timestamp='1499364514' post='3331090']
I have been deliberating over a couple of variants of these for a while now, and really fancy a s112 (or a pair...). Does anyone have any experience of the wide w212 as compared to the standard width s212? The standard is about 4 litres bigger (based purely on outside dimensions); would this make a significant difference?
[/quote]

I don't have direct experience of the two, however I do suspect that 4 litre difference in internal volume was probably a very deliberate decision made by Tommy at TKS in an effort to tune the W212 to sound as similar as possible to the standard model despite the increased surface contact with the floor vs the S212 (assuming the S212 is stood vertically). I have absolutely nothing to back this up, just my own pondering and knowing that Tommy is a very intelligent guy!

Edited by CameronJ

That's very kind, but I need it in Norway, so I doubt the offer is a go-er... The upside is that, coming from Sweden as they do, they are actually a pretty affordable option over here, so I am pretty sure I am just going to take a punt on a s112. Thanks though!