Why become a member? ×

TKS S112 continue to impress.

mcnach

This weekend I had two gigs at a beautiful place, The Steam Inn in Mallaig. Beautiful place and beautiful weather, and I got my own room and everything so my girlfriend came along, as it seemed too good an opportunity to waste (we never know when the weather will be this good again! ;))

Anyway... I thought both gigs were indoors, and I brought the two little S112 cabs and the Markbass LM3 with my Stingray.
Saturday night, typical small bar, no PA, ska/reggae band... it worked just fine.
But Sunday... was outdoors in the beer garden. I wasn't sure the little S112 cabs were going to be much good. But surprisingly, they were. Granted we were not extremely loud, it wasn't a festival, but a place where people could dance at the front, but also sit down and have beers a bit farther away. The drums were not mic'd. The TKS S112s worked just fine, I had to add a bit more low end than normal, but I wasn't even pushing the amp much and it sounded pretty good.

Those little speakers are fantastic.

I love playing outdoors, where there are no weird reflections or boomy stages... I didn't think this setup would work as well as it did. Very impressive.

That's kind of reassuring, given that I'm using DIY cabs with the same driver which ought to perform similarly. The power handling doesn't look particularly impressive when modelled, but possibly efficiency in the mids helps them to seem loud, and it can be hard to know how modelled low end handling relates to a real bass signal. I have got the impression that they could handle a bit more amp than my MB200, and that would appear to be borne out in use.
It sounds like a fun gig. I haven't been up that way in a few years, but it's a beautiful bit of the country and playing outdoors in the sun is always good when you can get away with it.

I have one TKS S112 and it sounds lovely. Haven't used it in a live gig situation yet, but have been pondering adding a second cab for flexibility. I'll be playing mainly pubs and clubs, got a festival coming up but would have PA and monitor support for that. So hoping I may get by? Or do I pull the trigger on another cab?

Edited by tonyclaret

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1494254178' post='3294355']
That's kind of reassuring, given that I'm using DIY cabs with the same driver which ought to perform similarly. The power handling doesn't look particularly impressive when modelled, but possibly efficiency in the mids helps them to seem loud, and it can be hard to know how modelled low end handling relates to a real bass signal. I have got the impression that they could handle a bit more amp than my MB200, and that would appear to be borne out in use.
It sounds like a fun gig. I haven't been up that way in a few years, but it's a beautiful bit of the country and playing outdoors in the sun is always good when you can get away with it.
[/quote]

I was a little worried because the power handling is not tremendous and they're not the deeper sounding cabs. I thought that playing outside I might have to crank the lows and the volume. But while the bass control was turned up more than normal, it wasn't crazy, and same volume-wise. I've played many times louder than I did on Sunday, so I wasn't concerned.
Bear in mind that this is for a beer garden, so loud enough but not loud that people could not have conversations at the back. In other situations it may not have worked.
I did not get a chance to wander around to check but our guitarist did, as he usually does, and it was him who asked me to turn up just a little bit. My girlfriend was at a table in the middle of the garden and I asked her to indicate to me if she thought I needed to do something (she knows what we should sound like and likes her bass, as well as her bassist ;)) and she just gave me the thumbs up. I had told her about my worries, and she said it was just perfect for the place. That didn't help her being sympathetic with my "but I also need the two Two10 cabs" explanations... :lol: but it's too late to return them now :P

The Stingray + LM3 + S112 are a great combination and I love them. Those wee speakers aren't going anywhere. I generally use a single Two10 for most gigs with PA support, as a stage monitor. It's much more capable than a single S112 and the sound is not that different (although it does sound clearly bigger, but it's the same kind of sound). But the two S112 are very capable in small bars without PA and better than a single Two10. It's nice to have the options... but if I had to, the two S112 would do just fine for me (just being careful).

[quote name='tonyclaret' timestamp='1494272299' post='3294627']
I have one TKS S112 and it sounds lovely. Haven't used it in a live gig situation yet, but have been pondering adding a second cab for flexibility. I'll be playing mainly pubs and clubs, got a festival coming up but would have PA and monitor support for that. So hoping I may get by? Or do I pull the trigger on another cab?
[/quote]

I find a single S112 a bit limited except for stage monitoring. Adding a second one makes the pair just as nice sounding but noticeably bigger. I wouldn't like having just one. They're so light and portable that bulk is not an issue really.

I love the sound and look of my S212 but sometimes wish I'd gone for 2 separate cabs - Its just a little bit heavy/bulky to get up the stairs. Great sound though, everything I need for my Fusion 550.

[quote name='tonyclaret' timestamp='1494272299' post='3294627']
[/quote][quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1494273575' post='3294642']
I find a single S112 a bit limited except for stage monitoring. Adding a second one makes the pair just as nice sounding but noticeably bigger. I wouldn't like having just one. They're so light and portable that bulk is not an issue really.
[/quote]

You only need one cab for stage monitoring (i have got 2 btw). He's just being greedy :lol:

Edited by FuNkShUi

Yep, I'm also gigging one or two S112's. Great all rounders and a nice easy weight for those awkward three flights of stairs, up around the corner..second right and you're nearly there gigs. The lack of very low bass can be a bit noticeable, but its easy to eq a bit if necessary...but actually works better when you DI into a good House PA. The Bag End S15 is very similar, and it usually makes the out front sound cleaner.

I have thought of selling mine and moving to a pair of BF 10's, but only to reduce size and weight a bit more. A lot of my work is in environments where every bit of space is needed and the sight of two black boxes makes everyone think you must be really loud.

[quote name='FuNkShUi' timestamp='1494313920' post='3294822']
You only need one cab for stage monitoring (i have got 2 btw). He's just being greedy :lol:
[/quote]

That's what I said, one for stage monitoring is ok... beyond that you would need the extra one.

You're right about the greed 'though, although I wasn't acting on it here :lol:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1494322048' post='3294901']

That's what I said, one for stage monitoring is ok... beyond that you would need the extra one.

You're right about the greed 'though, although I wasn't acting on it here :lol:
[/quote]

Says the man who used to own [i][b]FOUR[/b][/i] of these cabs!! :o :lol:

Interesting thread. I'm currently using a single S112 for small pub gigs and considering either a second S112, a BF Two10 or a pair of One10s.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1494273458' post='3294640']
I generally use a single Two10 for most gigs with PA support, as a stage monitor. It's much more capable than a single S112 and the sound is not that different (although it does sound clearly bigger, but it's the same kind of sound). But the two S112 are very capable in small bars without PA and better than a single Two10.
[/quote]

Can you enlarge on why you find the S112 pair better than the Two 10 for those gigs? Just a nicer sound?

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1494325915' post='3294952']
Says the man who used to own [i][b]FOUR[/b][/i] of these cabs!! :o :lol:
[/quote]

and glorious that was, glorious! especially in vertical configuration :lol:

(hey, I admitted I was greedy :P)

[quote name='pineweasel' timestamp='1494326219' post='3294954']
Interesting thread. I'm currently using a single S112 for small pub gigs and considering either a second S112, a BF Two10 or a pair of One10s.

Can you enlarge on why you find the S112 pair better than the Two 10 for those gigs? Just a nicer sound?
[/quote]

My impression so far is that the S112 and the Two10 belong to the same 'family of sound'. They are different but not hugely. The Two10 has a bigger bottom end but it remains tight, and the S112 has very sweet low midrange with less bass... but with a small EQ adjustment you get very close to one or the other.

Since I got the Two10, I never use a single S112 as a monitor, because it is only a little heavier/bigger (not enough to make any significant difference to my travel/stage arrangements) and I find I can get the same kind of sound, but I never feel I'm pushing it too hard.

For small bar gigs without PA support, I would often take a single Two10 because it's convenient to carry just one box, and it's loud enough and with sufficient bottom end.
I would generally prefer two S112 because I prefer their sound slightly over the Two10 (and two S112 have a noticeable bigger bottom than a single one, so it covers the bottom as well as a Two10)... so if is not a hassle to carry two boxes rather than one, I'll use two S112... if not a single Two10 is ok.

Small bar gigs without PA support, where bringing two boxes is not a problem... then it's two S112.

For bigger places or outdoors without PA support, I'd use two Two10 cabs, because that gets louder and deeper and I won't find myself wanting. But it depends on how loud you need to be. As I said, my ska/reggae band on Sunday did very well with two S112 in a beer garden - but it wasn't a very large beer garden or very loud.

If you already have a S112, I'd get a second one. I like their sound a bit better than a single Two10, and there's no shortage of bass. If you like the sound of your S112, and would like a bit more of the same with a little extra low end, then get a second S112.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1494333796' post='3295035']
My impression so far is that the S112 and the Two10 belong to the same 'family of sound'. <snip> then get a second S112.
[/quote]

The obvious question is: have you tried combining the two manufacturers? I ask mainly because I have run my BF Compact and TKS H115 together and I really like the combination :)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1494333796' post='3295035']

My impression so far is that the S112 and the Two10 belong to the same 'family of sound'. They are different but not hugely. The Two10 has a bigger bottom end but it remains tight, and the S112 has very sweet low midrange with less bass... but with a small EQ adjustment you get very close to one or the other.

Since I got the Two10, I never use a single S112 as a monitor, because it is only a little heavier/bigger (not enough to make any significant difference to my travel/stage arrangements) and I find I can get the same kind of sound, but I never feel I'm pushing it too hard.

For small bar gigs without PA support, I would often take a single Two10 because it's convenient to carry just one box, and it's loud enough and with sufficient bottom end.
I would generally prefer two S112 because I prefer their sound slightly over the Two10 (and two S112 have a noticeable bigger bottom than a single one, so it covers the bottom as well as a Two10)... so if is not a hassle to carry two boxes rather than one, I'll use two S112... if not a single Two10 is ok.

Small bar gigs without PA support, where bringing two boxes is not a problem... then it's two S112.

For bigger places or outdoors without PA support, I'd use two Two10 cabs, because that gets louder and deeper and I won't find myself wanting. But it depends on how loud you need to be. As I said, my ska/reggae band on Sunday did very well with two S112 in a beer garden - but it wasn't a very large beer garden or very loud.

If you already have a S112, I'd get a second one. I like their sound a bit better than a single Two10, and there's no shortage of bass. If you like the sound of your S112, and would like a bit more of the same with a little extra low end, then get a second S112.
[/quote]

Appreciate your time and expertise on this. Pretty much covered what was going around in my head. :-)

Still loving mine too. Practicing, recording & small gigs can be handled by one, bigger/louder gigs I use two. I can't see any reason for needing more; if the drums are going through the PA the bass is too so the on stage rig goes back to just being for personal monitoring.

I also they're they're the best looking cabs out there!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1494362750' post='3295430']

Glad to be of some use :)
[/quote]

Without derailing this post, I noticed from another thread you did have a couple of 1126's. Didn't this offer similar flexibility? As a one cab solution would the 1126 fair better than the S112? I presume you sold the 1126's because you preferred the tone of S112's? Cheers in advance.

[quote name='tonyclaret' timestamp='1494462517' post='3296255']
Without derailing this post, I noticed from another thread you did have a couple of 1126's. Didn't this offer similar flexibility? As a one cab solution would the 1126 fair better than the S112? I presume you sold the 1126's because you preferred the tone of S112's? Cheers in advance.
[/quote]

I preferred the sound of the S112, that's right. The 1126 was more powerful, with lots of bottom end. My plan then was to just have the two 1126 and nothing else. But I didn't gel with them. Same with a pair of BF BB2 cabs. The S112 cabs are much more my thing. They just don't get as loud or as deep as the 1126 or BB2... but it turns out it's not really much of a problem.

As a one cab solution the 1126 works, while the S112 does not (for me). I need both together, unless it's just as a stage monitor. A one cab solution would be the Two10 for me. However two S112 cabs are still very compact and so light and easy to transport...

I got the Two10 as I was curious about going to a 2x Two10 configuration for those times when I need more than what the two S112 can give me, and the sound of the Two10 is very pleasant. So I generally take a single Two10 as a stage monitor because it works better than a single S112 (but not as good as two S112)... but that's because, as someone pointed out, I'm greedy and I like to keep a pair of S112 and a pair of Two10 ;)

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1494492338' post='3296400']

I preferred the sound of the S112, that's right. The 1126 was more powerful, with lots of bottom end. My plan then was to just have the two 1126 and nothing else. But I didn't gel with them. Same with a pair of BF BB2 cabs. The S112 cabs are much more my thing. They just don't get as loud or as deep as the 1126 or BB2... but it turns out it's not really much of a problem.

As a one cab solution the 1126 works, while the S112 does not (for me). I need both together, unless it's just as a stage monitor. A one cab solution would be the Two10 for me. However two S112 cabs are still very compact and so light and easy to transport...

I got the Two10 as I was curious about going to a 2x Two10 configuration for those times when I need more than what the two S112 can give me, and the sound of the Two10 is very pleasant. So I generally take a single Two10 as a stage monitor because it works better than a single S112 (but not as good as two S112)... but that's because, as someone pointed out, I'm greedy and I like to keep a pair of S112 and a pair of Two10 ;)
[/quote]

Brilliant explanation again. Cheers Tony