Why become a member? ×

Pedal set up for splitting and combining signal

udo

Hello all,

for recording at home I use a Boss tuner pedal to split my bass signal, run one through some effects and the other dry into an audio interface. Then I mix both tracks on my computer.

I wonder, what is the best way to replicate this live? To have one signal chain run through some effects and one signal only the dry bass, and to mix them together again before giving the sound person simply one signal?

Does this work easily with the Boss tuner and line selector? Or are there better ways of achieving this?

Cheers,
Udo

Boss LS-2 if you are certain that none of your fx invert phase; some pedals do and the result is a volume drop due to the waves cancelling each other out. Otherwise look at a blender with a phase switch like the One Control Mosquite!

I also would not recommended blending digital pedals due to their processing delay, unless they are chorus/delay/reverb type pedals which obviously use such a delay to create their effect in the first place! But digital filters, overdrives and compressors for example might not be a good idea.

Some sort of Blender pedal.
I also use this...http://www.one-control.com/mosquite-blender-with-bjf-buffer.html
I like the fact that the big dial means I can change the blend setting with my foot on the fly.
I didn't like the LS2 - but it works for some people. You can buy mine if you want!

Edited by bigdavethebass

Thanks all,

the mosquite blender looks quite nice and small. I mainly use a compressor and a pre amp pedal (EBS valvedrive at the moment), nothing too big.
But for live it often makes the sound too beefy, especially on smaller PAs. That's why I want to dial in some of the dry signal to undo some of the boom added.

Anyhow, thank for the suggestions and I might give the mosquito a spin.

Check your EQ settings on the Valvedrive - I think it's a passive EQ, so 'flat' setting might be more like bass and treble off and mids maxed, setting it all to noon might therefore result in too much boom as you say!

If you're happy with your tuner doing splitter duties & handy with a soldering iron, why not build your own blend pedal?
I used to use a Bass Murf to split the signal & built my own blender. Easy build.

Sounds like a blend is the wrong approach if the only reason for it is to try and reduce the bass boost from a pedal that already has an EQ. I don't like using blends on low gain full range overdrives, all you end up doing is diluting the flavour they impart on your tone.

• 3 weeks later...

The Xotic X-Blender has a Phase Invert switch too. With the big Blend knob, adjustments with your feet are possible. It also has a 2 Band EQ and a boost switch, and a seperate footswitch to go from blended to 100% wet. Very useful pedal.

Edited by Higgie